What to look out for?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

What to look out for?

Post by Backofbeyond »

Hello, I am looking at lots of RT's, is there anything that I should be looking out for? Max budget is going to be about £4000. Lots about in that range, lots of ex Police bikes. Cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: What to look out for?

Post by hammo »

Well ex-police bikes should be ok if they (and usually are ) well maintained , obviously if you are looking at high mileage bikes remember the service costs involved if you require BMW dealer involvement , one of the main points these days are beware of scammers always check the history carefully good luck . 
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: What to look out for?

Post by Our Gee »

Police bikes will have been “only” maintained in accordance with the BMW schedule and most of the ones I have looked at have been scruffy, and they do get thrashed. Better to look for an enthusiast owned and maintained bike. For that sort of money there will be some very decent stuff around, probably with a good few early dealer stamps in the book. Then go by visual condition and be very choosy. I trawled around the north of England looking at five bikes before I found my present bike which had no service history at all but condition was mint so I bought it. A later search through dealer service departments ( 4 dealers contacted) revealed that it had more or less a full BMW service history. IMHO visual condition is the best indicator of caring previous owners.