Fuel Pump Controller/Flange

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Fuel Pump Controller/Flange

Post by David. »

Whilst searching for photos of fuel tank removal, came across something which I thought was interesting & may be to others.

On the Hexhead, the orientation of the fuel pump flanged, caused water to pool around the fuel pump controller. This resulted in corrosion & electrical problems.

On the Camhead, the fuel pump flange has been rotated, in order that the fuel pump controller & electrical connections are upper most.
Yes, water does still collect in the flange but not where it can cause any problems.

For some reason, the fuel pump controller has changed colour from silver to black.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel Pump Controller/Flange

Post by Our Gee »

ImageRe: Fuel Pump Controller/FlangeRe: Fuel Pump Controller/FlangeRe: Fuel Pump Controller/Flange

I may have posted pics of this home modification before but can't remember where, but this is a picture of my own method of keeping water away from the Fuel Pump electrics. I used the same mod on my Hexhead and transfered it to my Twincam as shown. Very effective and zero cost.
When the fairing panel is replaced the outer edge of the blue plastic "shield" is pushed down about 45 degrees and acts like an awning.
David's pictures also show the improved wiring and plugs on the Twincam. I believe that the different coloured Pump Controller started with a change of supplier. When my Hexhead controller gave up (in the middle of the North Yorks Moors) the replacement fitted under warranty was the black version.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hexhead Fuel Pump Controller Replacement, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_WzH-RpiRY
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Entertaining video David. I had to smile when he said "sounds good". It did keep running though !!.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Daft as it sounds, I used a J cloth and a tiny cable tie. On the periphery of the flange are several raised parts that can take the tie which then holds the J cloth in place. One end of the cloth is bunched and pushed into the water collection area whilst the other is spread out under the tank cover. This doesn't prevent the water getting into this area but it does wick the water away and the airflow does the rest thus drying the flange area nicely. The problems seem to occur when water is left to rest on the flange.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having washed my TC RT before removing the fairing panels, I did notice that water pools in the fuel pump flange in the green area as per this photo.

Found a suitable size plant pot saucer, cut slots in the rim for the wires/hoses and placed it over the whole fuel pump flange. Hopefully that'll keep the water out in the future.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I always carry a spare controller, seeing as they're relatively easy to swap, even at the roadside. I picked one up for around £40 on fleabay. The original one on my 1200ST was silver, it had never seen a trace of damp even though the bike was ridden in all weathers. The spare I have is black - I was led to believe that the black ones are upgraded, and less prone to failure - over on UKGSer, the vast majority of failures reported are the silver ones....in fact, I'm sure a call was put out for anyone who'd had a black one fail, with no takers. Some owners cobble together a bypass cable to use should theirs fail, but I can't see the point - it's as easy to fit a spare as it is the bypass.

I've got all the plastics off my '06 RT at the moment - the controller is bone dry, in fact it's dusty around it and I doubt it has ever seen damp!
Pete
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I think I'll give mine a whip over with the vac while I've got the plastics off  ;) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Found a suitable size plant pot saucer, cut slots in the rim for the wires/hoses and placed it over the whole fuel pump flange.
New improved version manufactured, using a 6" saucer rather than a 5.5" - 6" one, should keep all the debris out too.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Somewhere, in the depths of the garage, I have one of these, picked up used for a fiver - it's the purpose-made cover from the K25 GS. I never bothered doing anything with it though as mine never seemed to get wet! I think this may have been meant to keep out debris more than water, although it does form a seal around its base which would stop water getting into the recess if it was coming down from the top of the tank area.
[attachimg=1]
Pete
Attachments
Cover.jpg
Last edited by milleplod on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:New improved version manufactured, using a 6" saucer, should keep all the debris out too.