To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:I'm guessing the bike is not used in winter and is kept well away from salt.
Yes, the bike will be SORN'ed at the end of October and tucked away until 1st April. Although, there is still usually salt around on the roads in April.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think that helps a lot in keeping the bike looking like new. I think how you use your bike an all over ACF50 spray is OTT. I have always maintained if the bike is clean and dry then it cannot rust. Protect with what ever takes your fancy will help shift dirt when cleaning. I use wax to protect surfaces. I use ACF50 but only a very small amount applied with a brush on parts either hidden or likely to corrode with salt. One of my best buys was the air blower to dry the bike in winter. I think that alone has kept my bike like yours looking like new.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:One of my best buys was the air blower to dry the bike in winter.
Agreed, there is no way I would have attempted to wash the bike the way I did without the pet dryer to displace the water and dry it off.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Easyrider5258 wrote: I am reluctant to get dragged into the Muc-Off debate again........

Jesus! I only asked  ;)

Honestly its the first time I have heard of any problems with it! I don't use it personally but there is loads that swear by it

I will have a google and see whats what

Although I have heard they changed the product to make it more environmentally friendly! Could it have been the old one that was the issue?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this posted on a Triumph forum, "Muc Off" cleaner no more? | Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

"After many tries, he spoke to a chap named Alex, a director at Muc Off, and through a series of conversations and his own research, Fillingham deemed Muc Off has a "sodium, salt" ingredient that actually has anti-corrosive properties and is completely safe for washing your bike, possibly having the additional benefit of using an anti-corrosive for your machine."

This video is quiet lengthy but very interesting, https://youtu.be/CDZmVqablYg

There are some comments in the video about the chemical formula of Muc-Off being changed to allow it to be sold worldwide rather than just in the UK & EU.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the RT now tucked away, I'm continuing to use my XJ650. The application of GT85 seems to be proving successful. Been out a couple of times, most recently, just hosed the bike off and the dirt lifted away without any detergent or scrubbing. Dried the bike and re-applied some GT85. At £3 a tin from Halfords, it's well worth it.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David. wrote: With the RT now tucked away, I'm continuing to use my XJ650. The application of GT85 seems to be proving successful. Been out a couple of times, most recently, just hosed the bike off and the dirt lifted away without any detergent or scrubbing. Dried the bike and re-applied some GT85. At £3 a tin from Halfords, it's well worth it.

Thats good to hear but I think the real test is when salt arrives. I get the impression that GT85 acts like my Poorboys wax. Protects the surface and makes it easier to get dirt off. But for salt protection I think ACF50 will win. I like to combine the two. Have never like the idea of spraying the whole bike in ACF50 but instead paint on a very small amount in areas where salt could attack the finish nuts bolts brake unions etc. I think a lot of people probable use too much of the stuff and then get a mess. I also use it on the sides of the chain (obviously not RT) as I use a dry lube and the ACF stops any rust in the worst of winter. Like most things combining products probably gets the best results.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Maybe we should also consider XCP porducts:

[size=2px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBgF07I7TQM[/size]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

All Year Biker offer both ACF-50 and XCP treatment options, Treatment options that benefit your bike – All Year Biker

AYB suggest XCP offers a greater protection level vs ACF-50.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sullivj wrote: Maybe we should also consider XCP porducts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBgF07I7TQM

Interesting video. Might try XCP clear coat. Looks like it sprays well unlike ACF50 from can. Bennetts guy has also done a thorough test on cleaning products. Always kept away from washing up liquid but apparently it does not contain salts that cause corrosion ! New one on me. I use a car wash for bodywork and any really grubby areas sDoc 100 and agitate with a brush. But if I run out of car wash then washing up liquid will do the job without causing any issues. Good to know.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:Might try XCP clear coat. Looks like it sprays well unlike ACF50 from can.
XCP Profesional - Rust Blocker CLEAR COAT - YouTube