New Member from Chicago

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Falko144

New Member from Chicago

Post by Falko144 »

Hello everyone,
I am Dan from Chicago. Just bought a 2008 R1200RTP with about 26K miles.  I am 50 years old, been riding actively for 40+ years.
I am a former club racer, I raced mostly in the Midwest with CCS. In the past I raced Aprilia, Ducati, Triumph and Kawasaki, time was right to retire from racing and start enjoying other types of riding. I may do few track days but no more racing. 
Currently in addition to the "new" R1200RTP, I still own few bikes:
2018 HD Heritage Classic FLHC
2016 ZX6RR
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
1967 Benelli 250 café Montgomery Wards Riverside
Few dirt bikes and scooters
Attachments
D675 1.jpg
Benelli.jp.jpg
20160521_150124.jpg
636.jpg
636 DRG.jpg
999.jpg
Last edited by Falko144 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: New Member from Chicago

Post by jackronner »

I'll bet you were surprised at the good handling of the RT.  But I feel bad for bikers who don't live in California - we can ride year-round and between lanes! One of the main reasons I moved here from the Right Coast.  I can NEVER move to another state!  You guys must feel like I do when the World Series is over -  the looonnnnnggggg wait/weight for spring training.  My biking career just turned 50, too, but I didn't start as young as you!  Welcome to the group. 
Falko144

Post by Falko144 »

Jack,  we too split lanes, although we can get pulled over for it.  However, in my 24 years in Illinois, I am yet to be pulled over for lane splitting.  Speeding is a different issue.  Although, I did contribute to the budget of California few times as well, LOL.
Attachments
CHP Ticket.jpg
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

Hi Falco, that's am impressive CV and bike collection.  We too are allowed to lane split in the UK, as long as your speed is 'appropriate'.  All very civilised. Enjoy your RT, get back to us with your impressions once you have a few miles done.  It will be interesting to see what an ex-racer thinks.  8)
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Dan,
Welcome! Now that you are a BMW Owner, you may want to consider joining the Chicago Region BMW Owners Club. Lots of owners with BMW bikes as well as others (members are not required to ride BMW's). Place to meet and ride with others, discuss bikes, get advice and more in the Chicago area. We are an active club with events almost weekly and many weekends, especially during riding season, but in the off season as well. We have our monthly meeting next week, Thursday in Elmhurst, IL.  I have a 2010 RT myself out in the far west Chicago burbs. Let me know if you want any info or looking for RT information.
https://www.crbmw.com/
Falko144

Post by Falko144 »

bicyclenut wrote: Welcome! Now that you are a BMW Owner, you may want to consider joining the Chicago Region BMW Owners Club.
https://www.crbmw.com/
Couple of years ago, I was a member of CRBMW when I had my R100RS.  They used to meet at the Elk Lodge in Elmhurst and have tech Sundays at Motoworks.
I will look into joining again.  I still have a lots of parts for the airhead that I need to donate.
I have attached a picture of my RS, who knows maybe we know each other.
Attachments
R100RS.jpg