New member from the San Francisco Bay Area

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Usedtobefast

New member from the San Francisco Bay Area

Post by Usedtobefast »

[size=2px]Hello all.  I had been looking for an R1200RT for a while ... had decided on a 2011-2013 model.  Used this excellent forum to help zero in on the RT I wanted.  [/size]

I also did a few test drives and rented one using Riders Share. 

My mother lives in Virginia (~2800 miles away from San Francisco for the US geography challenged. :) )  ... on a recent visit, looking thru facebook and craigslist ads I found a very nice 2011, 23K miles, 1 owner, very good price.  Ended up buying it, doing a basic service, getting new tires, and rode it home to California!

A few things I realized about the RT.  I had never been thrilled on any test ride.  Thoughts were always like "nice bike", but not awesome bike.  But I wanted a long distance touring bike and I'm like 155lbs (~70kg, or 11 stones (what the heck Brits!)), and no way I want to deal with a Goldwing or other huge bike like that. 

On the KTMs or Ducatis I've own, it was instant thrill on first few miles!  What fun!  Then as time went on, niggle problems, issues, annoyances crept in.

I've learned, for me, the R1200RT was the other way.  No install thrills, but as I rode across the country without realizing it I started to get it. 

First item ... I was thinking "gee, I'm not getting such great gas mileage here, time to stop and fill up again" ... but no, I had just gone 240 miles! 
Another was towards the end of a day, a town I had planned to stop it was kind of crappy looking, checked to see how far to the next decent town, about 135 miles, no worries, off I go.  Most other bikes, at end of day, and decided to tag on another 135 miles would have been a downer, a heavy sigh, but on the RT, check gas range and take off.
Next, at the end of each day I felt great.  Zero issues.  Butt fine. Hands fine. Back, shoulders, etc etc felt great each day.
Driving through the AZ desert, cruise control on, beautiful sunny day, dialing in heated vest or grips or seat as needed, windshield adjusted just right, miles just clicking off ... wow, what a great motorcycle!!

Riding the bike across the US was no harder than watching a Netflix series.  :)

So now it is time for some maintenance ... and again, reading here and getting some great info on the bike.  Thanks! 
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: New member from the San Francisco Bay Area

Post by jackronner »

As a member of the choir, I say "Amen! Preach".  I'm in Oakland, CA. Got my first RT for a 10k miles, coast to coast to coast (plus Canada), and boy it did not disappoint.  But I did not expect it to be so much fun in the twisties too!  Love that windshield and the cruise control, but absolutely hate the mirrors.  Just wish it had twin exhausts for that old-school BMW burble.  How was your experience with Riders Share?  About 15 yrs ago I flew back east to see the leaves, but nowhere in the NYC area rented bikes (although they still had the dealer websites supposedly offering them). Had to settle for a gutless 1200cc Sportster.  I'll be back there this spring and would love to rent a bike for a week (the ONLY way to navigate Manhattan traffic).  Let me know if it's a good deal.  Thanks, and welcome.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy endless mileage on the RT , wish we had your weather .!!!!!
Usedtobefast

Post by Usedtobefast »

jackronner wrote: How was your experience with Riders Share?  About 15 yrs ago I flew back east to see the leaves, but nowhere in the NYC area rented bikes (although they still had the dealer websites supposedly offering them). Had to settle for a gutless 1200cc Sportster.  I'll be back there this spring and would love to rent a bike for a week (the ONLY way to navigate Manhattan traffic).  Let me know if it's a good deal. 

I've rented 3 different bikes using Riders Share.  It really comes down to the individual and how well they have their bike prepped/setup.  One experience was excellent.  One was fine.  One was sub par ... tire pressure was like 22 psi in both tires, tire wear pattern looked like 8k miles of straight interstate, bike had a number of "issues", like it had side cases, but they were locked and he had lost the key!  I returned the bike after ~2 hours as it was horrible to ride.  I didn't try to get any refund or anything just figured you win some you lose some.
Usedtobefast

Post by Usedtobefast »

hammo wrote: Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy endless mileage on the RT , wish we had your weather .!!!!!

Actually, I forgot to mention it rained on me for 12 minutes for the entire trip across the US!  I was carefully watching weather reports and adjusting my route/pace.  And actually, that rain storm was a surprise.

But the desert in late October was excellent.  Cool air but still very warm sun.  I went through New Mexico, AZ, and a lot of CA desert.  I-40 West was the main route and I deviated on/off of that.  Day would start in low 50's (F, 10c), and most of the day was 68-70f (20-21c).
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Used2B,  What is the price range for bike 650cc plus?  I assume that the owner's private insurance won't cover a commercial rental, so does Riders Share provide insurance as part of the price?  Do they do short term and long term (a couple of weeks, etc.) rentals?  Rented a bike in France in 2011 for 1 month for about $110/day (terrible experience).  I'll be buying one over there, probably another RT, and leaving it with my friend between summer tours, but in 2011 had considered buying a cheap bike then trying to sell it before leaving, or just giving it some young guy failing that.  Thanks.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've managed to check out some prices on Riders Share, which seem reasonable.  But I'm still a bit unclear whether their second party insurance is included, or if it's a separate charge from the quoted per diem rental price?  Also, doesn't appear from their map that N.Y. State permits bike rentals, tho' surrounding states do.
Usedtobefast

Post by Usedtobefast »

jackronner wrote: I've managed to check out some prices on Riders Share, which seem reasonable.  But I'm still a bit unclear whether their second party insurance is included, or if it's a separate charge from the quoted per diem rental price?  Also, doesn't appear from their map that N.Y. State permits bike rentals, tho' surrounding states do.

I just checked New York, NY and there are several rentals available. 

For insurance, if you already own a motorcycle in the US and have an insurance policy you would want to check to see if that covers a rental motorcycle.  For the ones I rented, at the time you book it they give you a couple of options and prices.  Can't remember the numbers, but something like Package A is zero deductible and cost $$, Package B is $500 deductible and cost less, etc.  So I picked their insurance options.  Wasn't crazy expensive. 

The duration is up to the owner of the bike that is renting it out (like if you wanted a 1 month rental).  Another thing that is cool, if you are in an area a long time, you could rent various bikes out.  Like rent out a touring bike for a week and do a big loop.  Then rent a sport bike for a day of curvy backroads.  Try out a Ducati.  Or a Harley.  Etc.  So in a month you could try out a bunch of bikes!

And also, gotta watch for the "miles per day" info.  Some set that at like 200 miles a day and then so much for each mile over.  That is up to each owner to set those numbers.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Used2B.  Their support team answered my email very quickly, but with the bad news that NY State is the only state that doesn't permit m-cycle rentals!