Moving over to the 'dark side'! (Newbie)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Moving over to the 'dark side'! (Newbie)

Post by 7vwh »

Hi folks,
I have my new rt12 ordered for mid to late September! Just perusing all the relevant forums for tip and tricks along with what extras I should be getting. My current stead is a Yamaha Fazer 1000 with many 'farkles'. I've ridden the current RT through work and plumbed for the new one against the Yam FJR. Looking forward to it :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by 7vwh on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Moving over to the 'dark side'! (Newbie)

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome to the forum. Many, many years ago I swapped from a Diversion to a 1100RT. Eight RTs later I'm still at it. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Cheers, heard from Park Lane today, the bike is built, still looking at mid to late September for pick up :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

7vwh wrote: Cheers, heard from Park Lane today, the bike is built, still looking at mid to late September for pick up :-)
Build date to delivery is normally about 2 weeks. They will be able to check when its handed to the carrier and then its only about a week away.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Collection arranged for next Friday (26th)  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As you have asked about Autocom fitting you might discover that Park Lane, being BMW owned, are reluctant to help you much with any fitting.  Probably try to sell  you £1500 of System 6 helmets fitted with BMW Bluetooth units.  I could be wrong of course. 
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I'm now officially in the club! After an interesting ride out of central London during the Friday afternoon rush hour I completed a varied 240 mile 1st ride. Love the bike, no regrets
Last edited by 7vwh on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What have you done about comms?
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Nothing yet, been riding :-)
As predicted no advice was offered so once I've got the first service sorted I'll have a nosey and see what I can sort.
Attachments
IMG_4895.jpg
IMG_4894.jpg
IMG_4891.jpg
IMG_4887.jpg
Last edited by 7vwh on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Congrats on the new RT....awesome machine.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

In the lucky position to compare new versus old :-)

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's difficult to figure out why the new one looks and feels much smaller when in fact its about 20 kgs heavier and the wheelbase is 2mm more .  I was out with a mate last week who has a 2008 one and parked next to mine looks much bigger. I think its the difference in height.
Pope

Post by Pope »

7vwh wrote: In the lucky position to compare new versus old :-)

You would catch more bad guys if you were using the new one..... ;)
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

You may have seen this across on BMWLT.com but thought I'd share it here too!

Today (Oct 8th) was my first opportunity to do some back to back riding.

It was a chilly 5'c (41'F), dark and wet commute first thing. I had the heated grips on 2 whilst wearing summer gloves. No problem at all with any part of me feeling cold. The fairing and windscreen seem to offer a very good shield (because of my reynauds/circulation problem any riding under 10'c on the Fazer resulted in freezing hands and feet!). The headlight was fantastic, a real good spread across the carriageway although I may need to drop the aim a little as I've been flashed by oncoming vehicles a few times. The main beam is also very good.

On to the work stead. I've been upgraded from an '09 to a '12 :-)
Straight away I was more conscious of the engine noise and vibes. I did 220 miles during my shift, it started wet, dried out then got very wet. I suffered my usual numbness in my right hand from the vibes. The seating position meant my upper thighs ached a little, probably the higher foot pegs.
The screen was positioned so I got minimal wind noise around my ears. I've found I get more wind noise on the '14 despite playing with the height. If I duck down about 2 inches on the '14 that cures it so I can see me investing in the Comfort screen (I am 6 feet 6 inches tall).
Winter gloves used with the heated grips set on 1 of 2.
No real issues all day, got the ASC activating a few times whilst making progress.

Homeward bound on the '14. It was wet, really wet so used the Rain mode. I am super confident on the '12 but seem to be riding mine like a fanny! I can only put it down to it being new bike syndrome and me not wishing to drop it!
The first major thing I noticed was the change in grips size. The grips on the '12 start small in circumference at the thumb/forefinger end and increases across the palm, whereas on the '14 the circumference remains the same throughout and on the small size. I actually found my hands, particularly the throttle side, aching after about 10 minutes. I will try grip puppies.

Overall, the '14 feels sharper and smoother in it's handling, easier to ride. You are more isolated from the external wind and I've found myself cracking on a little more than I expected or realised in the speed department, albeit briefly!
It feels lighter on the move, even when wheeling both round in the yard by hand.
I've also been playing with the shift assist which is now coming along nicely. Holding the throttle and engaging the gear lever slowly seems to work fine for me, but I still prefer manual shifting coming down the box.

The overall verdict so far is that the '09/'12 and '14 are chalk and cheese, totally different bikes.

Now for some gratuitous pics!! Cheers, Craig.

The 14 had it's 600 mile service this week @ £155.97 (includes £6.40 for fitting the BMW cylinder guards).  Now the restrictions are off I had a spirited 150 mile run home. I think my retinence to explore the capeabilities and lack of confidence probably relate to the running in limits as I soon got into the 14 big time along dry and wet roads.

I've fitted an Avent fender extender, SW motech under tray, Wünderlich tornado hub, swinging arm covers and side stand enlarger, rubber tank protectors and pannier paint protectors.

Today I swopped the horn for an old stebel and wired up the Optimate III connector. I've also started the comms installation by hard wiring in the Fuzeblock panel. Next will be the autocom, Bluetooth module an IR803 radio!

Pictures to follow once I'm sorted.

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi,  how do you intend to fit the Optimate, if it’s not the `canbus’  compatible type,  I’m guessing then direct to the battery with a lead out from the panels somewhere ?
Very nice `pic’s’,  but park in the back of the yard and use a Bike Cover  to hide it,  or Professional Standards  ( C&D in my day )  will start `snooping’ for spending all that money !!.  ( you lucky wotsit )

Ride Safe..... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window