Cruise control

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GrumpyBoomer
Bike Model and Year: 1200rt
Great Britain

Cruise control

Post by GrumpyBoomer »

Ok after buying my 2009 1200rt been out twice and I can't get the cruise control to work.Slide the button over light is on and push the button up quickly or hold up I can't get it to operate,any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?....Any ideas people? Neil.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Cruise control

Post by David. »

GrumpyBoomer wrote:Any ideas people.
Could be anyone of a number of things. Found this thread on BMWSportTouring, R1200 RT Cruise control problems - Hexheads - BMWSportTouring

There is a diagnostic procedure, might be helpful.

The clutch lever microswitches seem to be a popular problem, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

Had an ABS sensor issue due to brake pad dragging and overheating. Took out cruise control when the sensor went. Only reason I knew was I could feel the heat coming off the rear brakes.

However, there are lots of other reasons as well.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Every time I have had Cruise Control problems it has been down to the poor quality Left side Handlebar "Combination" switch. Replaced twice under warranty. On each occasion and after switch replacement the Cruise Function returned fine. Lots of these "Christmas Cracker" switches have failed especially the earlier version with an ESA inscription on the Suspension switch. The later ones with a picture of a Suspension Shock seem to be more reliable. (Part Number 61 31 855 0033)
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansM
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT-LC 2018
Netherlands

Post by HansM »

[size=2px]The cruise control of my K1600 (2011) regularly fell out or did not get it to work. After I had injected the cruise control switch with contact spray without disassembling the switch, the problem has not occurred again.[/size]
R1200RT LC 2018 + NAV 6
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Our Gee wrote: Every time I have had Cruise Control problems it has been down to the poor quality Left side Handlebar "Combination" switch. Replaced twice under warranty. On each occasion and after switch replacement the Cruise Function returned fine. Lots of these "Christmas Cracker" switches have failed especially the earlier version with an ESA inscription on the Suspension switch. The later ones with a picture of a Suspension Shock seem to be more reliable. (Part Number 61 31 855 0033)

Same here - switch went AWOL, first time lost cruise control and left hand indictor, second cruise control, right indicator and ESA.