Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.

Post by Our Gee »

I came across this Utube Video of an R90S being built from new parts at Max BMW in the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVBNSjjrRo
Our Gee
Great Britain

Re: Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.

Post by Our Gee »

76 Views to date and no one has anything to say. :grave:
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I've just finished watching it! Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Good to see such thorough bike preparation. Much better than some of the 'restoration' videos.

Airheads are not my thing, but I recognise the heritage that's got us to where we are today.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I'm rather surprised by the absence of anti-seize compound on any of the various nuts and bolts that may require removal at later date.

When I got my used 2018 model I applied coppaslip to every fairing bolt I could find and unfasten, and some of them were a bit creaky to remove... but I guess that's real world as opposed to a showroom piece, although they did take it out for a test ride in the snow and slush, damned if I would!
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Interesting observation Steve as I also am a fan of "Careful" use of thread lube / anti seize such as Coppaslip. However I can't recall ever coming across evidence of anti seize when dismantling a "threaded" factory assembled connection.  As far as I know the vast majority of Torque values are given for assembly and tightening of "Dry" threads. The application of an Anti Seize / Thread Lube requires a decrease
to the given Torque value of something like 25% depending on the medium used. Tightening a lubricated threaded assembly to a value given for "dry" assembly risks over tightening and the possibility of component failure.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One thing BMW do like using a lot of is screw lock to stop things falling apart.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Our Gee wrote: Interesting observation Steve as I also am a fan of "Careful" use of thread lube / anti seize such as Coppaslip. However I can't recall ever coming across evidence of anti seize when dismantling a "threaded" factory assembled connection.  As far as I know the vast majority of Torque values are given for assembly and tightening of "Dry" threads. The application of an Anti Seize / Thread Lube requires a decrease
to the given Torque value of something like 25% depending on the medium used. Tightening a lubricated threaded assembly to a value given for "dry" assembly risks over tightening and the possibility of component failure.

Agree regards dry threads and torque values. I prefer to use ACF50 Block Grease on threads and generally reduce the torque by 10% and round down. So far never had an issue.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Levisp wrote:
Agree regards dry threads and torque values. I prefer to use ACF50 Block Grease on threads and generally reduce the torque by 10% and round down. So far never had an issue.

I’ve only recently discovered the ACF grease which I’m now using in preference to Copperslip, and fully also agree/accept your point of decreasing the torque values when it’s applied too.