Engine flush or not?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Liverpool Brick

Engine flush or not?

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi Guys,

I'm about to change the oil and filter on my 2011 RT SE and I was wondering about whether to add an engine flush. Are there any known problems with using an engine flush on an RT service? Any brands recommended?
All contributions welcome,
Cheers,
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
guest2360

Re: Engine flush or not?

Post by guest2360 »

BMW say never use any engine additives and engine flush would probably come into the same category.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Liverpool Brick wrote:I'm about to change the oil and filter on my 2011 RT SE and I was wondering about whether to add an engine flush. Are there any known problems with using an engine flush on an RT service? Any brands recommended?
Haven't used an engine flush on an RT but have successfully used it on others motorcycles & cars.

Wurth do an engine flush and cleaner formulated for motorcycles (inc. wet clutches), have used it on a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 with no ill effects.

DAE is another engine flush used on cars with dry clutches (like 2011 RT), again, no problems after use.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would suggest with modern engine oils engine flush is well past its sell by date. Unless you have done something stupid like filled up with diesel
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Both a local Suzuki car dealer & an independent motorcycle service centre use engine flush as part of an oil & filter change.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

If the bike has a decent service history then there is no reason to use engine flush at all. In fact in my years of R11xx and R1200 I have never come across anyone who has used engine flush.
I do recall my Ford dealer offering me this service. When quized as to why they (the dealer) recommend it and Ford make no mention of it in there service schedule I was met with umms and arrs and shuffling of feet. If any vehicle has been serviced regularly then it is a waste of money and in my mind an easy way for dealers to make extra cash.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My thoughts as well.  Just to make money for nothing.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Thanks for your thoughts and I'm tending to agree with the "don't use it" camp which was my gut reaction in the first place. The bike has a full BMW service history up to 04/15 and I doubt it has been serviced since then.
Cheers,
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having had a MKII Golf GTI from new, it had an oil & filter change every 5,000 miles. After 140,000 miles, started to use an engine flush, was amazed at the amount of crap which came out of the engine on first use. Continued to use the engine flush, the oil definitely stayed cleaner for longer. Had the car until it had done 225,000 miles without any engine work being required.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Never would have thought about engine flush on motorcycle for the wet clutch reason. On vehicle engines that have got less than stellar maintaince we have added a qt of diesel to crank case and let engine idle for a few minutes then do a oil change, amazing the crud that comes out
On my PW 1340 T6 engine a couple quarts of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL prior to last flight before oil change, this was recommended by overhaul shop
PS 1340 oil capacity 11gallons
If I were to flush a car or bike engine, wouldn't let RPM get above idle
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

T6pilot wrote:Never would have thought about engine flush on motorcycle for the wet clutch reason.

If I were to flush a car or bike engine, wouldn't let RPM get above idle.
The Wurth engine flush is formulated for motorcycles with a wet clutch, (e.g. XJ650).

As it says on the tin, let the engine idle for 10 minutes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Liqui Moly produce a range of motorcycle products, one of them being an engine flush, https://products.liqui-moly.com/additiv ... flush.html

Based on experiences of using an engine flush with my VW Golf GTI & Yamaha XJ650, I'm back to considering using it in the RT.
My reasoning is that I currently have no intention to replace the RT & wish to look after the engine in the best way possible, it may serve me well in the long run.

Any thoughts or observations would be most welcome, thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Silkolene do this engine flush, Engine Flush One Shot - FUCHS Silkolene - Superior Motorcycle Oils RRP around £6.50.

Got a VJMC discount of 10% from Fowlers, Silkolene 1 SHOT ENGINE FLUSH | Fowlers Parts
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Going off posts like this I wouldn't bother.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
Screenshot_20211118-191414_Facebook.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Excellent next day delivery from Fowlers, engine flush turned up yesterday.