sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel grade

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: When it comes to MPG, I'd agree that Tesco vs BP gives less MPG. As previously posted, a test on my RT gave 5 MPG better with BP vs Tesco.

However, at what cost, most recently, Tesco was 20p/litre cheaper than BP at a motorway service area.

I totally agree with what you are saying and I have said it for years that any gains in MPG on any fuel is usually written off due to the price difference

As posted earlier in the thread fuel is fuel its all the same but its the additives that make the difference I just can't help but think what people like Tesco are putting in fuel to make you get a lower MPG compared to others.

It would be interesting to know what additives are in different fuels and what affects these additives can have on a bike

I think its just my paranoid head but I would rather avoid it to be honest
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Fuel could be the new tyres/oils thread.

From what I've "Googled", the additives seem to be a top secret cocktail mix to improve MPG which clearly works. Other claims about engine cleanliness seem a bit OTT. When was the last time you decoked a 4 stroke engine. Then there is the supposedly environmental impact.
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

:)) :))

I can just see it now

What is the stickiest fuel  :))
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote:
From what I've "Googled", the additives seem to be a top secret cocktail mix to improve MPG which clearly works. Other claims about engine cleanliness seem a bit OTT. When was the last time you decoked a 4 stroke engine. Then there is the supposedly environmental impact.

Thats interesting you have just said that!

What if the additives do improve MPG and Tesco's is not "bad" fuel but better than what goes in the tanker anyway and others are just better than Tesco's

Without the additives the MPG may well be worse still

Its something we will never know really
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Found this posted on the Kawasaki 1400 GTR Forum.

"Petrol is petrol though the RON does vary. I make the stuff for a living, the same petrol goes into road tankers from; Tesco, Morrisons, Shell, BP, Asda and Texaco the only difference is the additives they squirt into it."

The "additives" bit seems to be a big secret!
I don't think we'll ever find the answer. Bit like tyres/oils, you pays your money and makes your choice. Whatever makes you feel good, it's all in the mind!
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
knuckplucker
Australia

Post by knuckplucker »

I generally prefer to use premium fuel in my 2018 R1200 RTP (Ex  Australian Police). But I have come across the VIN information for my bike which tells me that it has "Specification 0639 - Provisions F Regular Fuel Unleaded".

I assume that this means that I am able to run 91 in the bike if necessary (still like to use the 95), but can't find anywhere to confirm that assumption.

Any thoughts from the brains trust?
Knuckplucker
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

knuckplucker wrote:I assume that this means that I am able to run 91 in the bike if necessary (still like to use the 95),  but can't find anywhere to confirm that assumption.
Found this in a Rider's Manual.

Recommended fuel grade - Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10) 95 ROZ/RON 89 AKI

Alternative fuel grade - Regular unleaded (Power and consumption related restrictions. If e.g. the engine is to be operated in countries with low fuel grades at 91 research octane number, then the motorcycle must first be programmed appropriately at your authorised BMW motorcycle dealer.) 91 ROZ/RON 87 AKI
Last edited by David. on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

More info. from BMWMOA, Reg. gas for an RT? (bmwmoa.org)

Reply #8 says, "There is NO knock sensor on a wethead motor".

If this is the case, that'll be why the engine needs re-programming.
redcomet
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by redcomet »

From the Esso uk website:
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.
There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.
Best wishes,
Pete

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: More info. from BMWMOA, Reg. gas for an RT? (bmwmoa.org)

Reply #8 says, "There is NO knock sensor on a wethead motor".

If this is the case, that'll be why the engine needs re-programming.

BMW say the 1250 Boxer does have a Knock Sensor. It has to because some of the places GS's are ridden have poor petrol. No knock sensor, no go.

That was not true of the LC 1200 where you could reprogram the GS ECU to use low-grade fuel. I can't imagine that was a popular move.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Further research agrees with you John.

Looking at the MAX BMW Motorcycle parts fiche, RT Hexheads, Camheads & Shiftheads (1250) all have the same Ping (Knock) Sensor fitted, whereas for some reason, the Wethead (1200) doesn't. The bike in question is a 2018 Wethead (1200).

I suppose having the Wethead (1200) re-programmed to run on 91 RON, then using the higher 95 RON will be OK.

To the best of my knowledge, running an engine on a fuel of higher octane rating will only burn a hole in your wallet and not the engine. My 1980 Yamaha XJ650 was designed to run on leaded 87 RON 2*, it now gets treated to unleaded 99 RON Momentum E5 from Tesco, plus STA-BIL 360 Protection. (Compression ratio 9.2:1)

I like what the FBHVC have to say, Fuels | Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (fbhvc.co.uk)
"It is now generally accepted that while ‘excessive’ octane quality might be a waste of money, it is not harmful in low compression engines".
Last edited by David. on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

My personal choice is rather dependent on how close to payday it is, especially now with the price of fuel overall. Generally it’s high octane supermarket fuel to try and get the best of both worlds…
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

+1 on Steve, although I found a BP station that was actually cheaper than the nearby supermarket! It pays to shop around, clearly.

Old Foxy
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Old Foxy wrote:I found a BP station that was actually cheaper than the nearby supermarket!
Supermarkets seem to be taking the pi$$ at the moment, Retailers make shocking petrol profit, says RAC - BBC News

"In particular, the RAC pointed the finger at supermarket chains who are major fuel retailers, such as Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons, saying they should have reduced prices, but had instead increased them "unnecessarily"."
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes I read that article. However surely they buy fuel in advance so when oil prices fall it takes time before that filters down to reduced fuel prices. Like all stories on the BBC you don't get the full picture. I wouldn't believe all you read. However they could be trying to claw back sales they lost when we were all in lockdown. Personally I shop around and buy the cheapest. On the question of fuel grade it's true the premium bands are only different by the additives they add. The basic petrol is all the same. So it's true to say a brand with cleaning additives will keep the upper cylinder head cleaner in the longterm, but for most people they would have traded in their bike long before seeing any benefit. As far as I can see only riders who ride mega miles 20k/year and keep their bikes for a very long time 10+ years will benefit. For must it's a con.