Test rides

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mondeoman
Wales

Test rides

Post by mondeoman »

Anyone noticed how M/cycle dealers increasingly are imposing age limits on test rides, I've been riding for 50 years, NEVER (it's true) had a prang, decades of 100% clean licence,  example,  Wolverhampton Motorrad wouldn't allow me a test ride on the demo RT because I'm over 70, even tho' i was going to buy a brand new RT LE with extra's, Chester Motorrad welcomed with, "full and clean licence sir, anyone of any age can have a test ride" so they got my order.
Honda dealers I've encountered, same thing 65 or 70, no tests!
Some car dealers as well, just contacted TESLA, (out of curiosity) no tests over 65 !!
Yet older rider/drivers are the best insurance risk according to the Ins' companies I believe, crazy 'eh.
Mondeoman
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Test rides

Post by sakm »

I will let you know in 30 years if I have the same problem  :o
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

I agree, it does seem unreasonable.

A quick search online verifies your view that the claim profile for the over 70s remains low compared with most other age groups. So the refusal to allow test rides on the grounds of insurance risk seems flakey but, if the dealer can't get insurance cover, who's to say their lying?

Perhaps the insurers have bad experience with test rides that don't correlate with normal day to day riding. For example the weight of larger bikes might have been an issue with some older riders simply dropping the bike on the forecourt and incurring untold expense?

It is what it is, although perhaps there might be a workaround using your own insurance.

Good luck.
Last edited by Lucky on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Despite being 72 I’ve never had a problem with test rides at Honda or BMW locally, but holiday car hire designated over 70 as a ‘can’t do’.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

sakm wrote: I will let you know in 30 years if I have the same problem  :o

In 30 years I doubt anyone will be allowed to drive/ride anything due to ever increasing restrictions on everyday life,  so enjoy whilst you still can.  :shirty:
Mondeoman
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

mondeoman wrote:
In 30 years I doubt anyone will be allowed to drive/ride anything due to ever increasing restrictions on everyday life,  so enjoy whilst you still can.  :shirty:

I agree there! but then we will be flying anyway  :))
thwak
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by thwak »

I guess the practise in Canada is the way of the future. My experience is that test rides from a dealer are rare. BMW Canada does demo days at major cities across the country with a travelling selection of bikes to try. Once a year if not cancelled due to COVID. Book your spot in advance.
2019 R1250 RT
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Here in the U.S., test rides are available at most BMW dealerships, though I’m uncertain if there’s an age limitation. The two local dealerships I patronize nearly beg me to take one of their demo bikes each time I come in for a visit.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

mondeoman wrote: Anyone noticed how M/cycle dealers increasingly are imposing age limits on test rides,

I've definitely heard of this the other way, i.e. Hayabusa must be over 25 but not upper limit.

emlevy wrote: The two local dealerships I patronize nearly beg me to take one of their demo bikes each time I come in for a visit.

I've had the same in the UK, just idly looking at a bike while my mate talks to a salesman and they suggest I take it out for a ride.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Strange one that i,ve never had a problem and i,m "getting on " my own opinion is when you are spending in the region of £20.000 for a motorcycle they should be giving you a free meal as well .
fkatbiker33

Post by fkatbiker33 »

What you described here is purely age discrimination, that's is a no no in many countries, especially in the U.S. As long as the person looks strong and able to handle the bike he/she wants to test ride, I don't see why the discrimination just by looking at the DOB column on the DL. Especially if you rode to the dealership with your bike.
I am 67, 5'8", I have 6 bikes (not rich, just bought used at the right times thru-out the years),My smallest is a 2018 Ninja H2 SX, my biggest is a 2018 Goldwing, got an old Harley, a K bike and a RT in between. No one can tell me that I'm inadequate to handle my babies in 3 years.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

fkatbiker33 wrote: What you described here is purely age discrimination, that's is a no no in many countries, especially in the U.S. As long as the person looks strong and able to handle the bike he/she wants to test ride, I don't see why the discrimination just by looking at the DOB column on the DL. Especially if you rode to the dealership with your bike.
I am 67, 5'8", I have 6 bikes (not rich, just bought used at the right times thru-out the years),My smallest is a 2018 Ninja H2 SX, my biggest is a 2018 Goldwing, got an old Harley, a K bike and a RT in between. No one can tell me that I'm inadequate to handle my babies in 3 years.

I agree with you. My problem is that I don't know whether to get angry with the BMW dealer or the insurance company that provides cover for the dealer's demo and loan bikes.
John Bentall
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

beemerboy9 wrote:
I agree with you. My problem is that I don't know whether to get angry with the BMW dealer or the insurance company that provides cover for the dealer's demo and loan bikes.

The fact other dealers can offer rides to the more mature rider indicates that insurance is available to the dealer, they have therefore chosen for whatever reason to go with a policy with a restrictive covenant, most likely to save some money.

I often hear people moan about insurance companies but buying a policy is like buying anything else, the price will depend on what you are getting, you can pay less and get less or if you want more then you probably have to pay for it or shop around. If you are not getting what you think you are getting 99% of the time it is your own fault for not checking what is included. This shop has chosen to buy that policy excludes you.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

PeteM wrote:
The fact other dealers can offer rides to the more mature rider indicates that insurance is available to the dealer, they have therefore chosen for whatever reason to go with a policy with a restrictive covenant, most likely to save some money.

I often hear people moan about insurance companies but buying a policy is like buying anything else, the price will depend on what you are getting, you can pay less and get less or if you want more then you probably have to pay for it or shop around. If you are not getting what you think you are getting 99% of the time it is your own fault for not checking what is included. This shop has chosen to buy that policy excludes you.
Am I to assume that a dealers previous accident record with loan bikes might restrict the cover offered - even to the extent that it might exclude older riders?  I know that some insurers want to charge me £3,500 to insure my bike because they do really not want my business.
John Bentall
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

beemerboy9 wrote: Am I to assume that a dealers previous accident record with loan bikes might restrict the cover offered - even to the extent that it might exclude older riders?  I know that some insurers want to charge me £3,500 to insure my bike because they do really not want my business.

It might be but unless the claims history was terrible for older riders I would not expect the that sort of restriction so my gut feeling is they wanted to reduce their premium and were happy to put lots of restrictions on the policy to do that. Would not be surprised to find there were other things as well such as minimum age, big excess etc.

Giving a high quote because you don't want the business is common I've seen it done by builders, gardeners, plumbers etc. Personally I would rather they were honest and just said they were not interested.