Official complaint toward dealership

Got a BMW R1200RT/R1250RT for sale? selling some accessories?
TeeJayAZ

Official complaint toward dealership

Post by TeeJayAZ »

Just started what is an official complaint toward the dealership that sold me a faulty motorcycle.
Just picked up a 2019 R1250 RT with 12k mi. The unit has a pulsing in the bike when the front brakes are applied that is most notable as the bike nears a stop (less than 15mph). This is exaggerated with a passenger aboard (a time when smoothness is most important) and therefore makes the problem more difficult for the service department to confirm.
GO AZ Motorcycle in Scottsdale, AZ is the dealership I both purchased the bike from and brought it back to less than 3 days later to address my concerns. They started that they had more than one technician test ride the machine and cannot duplicate my complaint.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Official complaint toward dealership

Post by David. »

TeeJayAZ wrote:The unit has a pulsing in the bike when the front brakes are applied that is most notable as the bike nears a stop (less than 15mph).

They stated that they had more than one technician test ride the machine and cannot duplicate my complaint.
In the UK, motorcycles 3+ years old are subject to an MOT Test. Part of the MOT is testing of the brake function using a roller brake tester at slow speed. An advisory notice item can be, "roller brake test indicates slight fluctuation of brake effort", pulsing.

Are any such test facilities available in the US.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Bent rim, worn tire, worn wheel bearings, excessive rotor runout — all (or more) could be contributing factors, and all are easily inspected and/or rectified. Unless the dealer gave you a warranty, I’d take it elsewhere for inspection.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

emlevy wrote: Unless the dealer gave you a warranty, I’d take it elsewhere for inspection.

Even with a warranty you can take it elsewhere for diagnosis.

In the UK the warranty would be irrelevant as a fault on a motor vehicle that occurs within the first six months is legally assumed to have been there when sold so the dealer must rectify, you are also allowed to reject a faulty vehicle within the first 30 days for a full refund
TeeJayAZ

Post by TeeJayAZ »

Not sure if the fancy brake tests referred to is available - dealer didn't say anything about it.
Unit has brand new tires.
Using the rear brake pedal without touching the front brake lever as I drop below 20mph seems to help. I mentioned this to the service manger and he immediately jumped back with "that activates the front brake as well". Anybody know what percentage of each brake is used when only pressing down on the brake pedal?
I will take it to another dealer for a second opinion as I'm convinced I'm not imagining the problem (I've been riding for 40+ years and have owned over a dozen motorcycles). I'm AM convinced that this dealership is trying to protect themselves - if the brakes need to be fixed the obvious question will become "Why was this machine cleared for resale with faulty brakes"

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

TeeJayAZ wrote:Using the rear brake pedal without touching the front brake lever as I drop below 20mph seems to help. I mentioned this to the service manger and he immediately jumped back with "that activates the front brake as well".
From the Rider's Manual, "Your motorcycle is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake lever. The footbrake lever acts only on the rear brake."
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Not wishing to be alarmist but just had a thought, some bikes were recalled because of leaking calipers, inc. 2019 R1250RT's.

Recall Underway on 2019-2020 R1250GS, R1250GSA & Other Models - ADV Pulse

Might have something or nothing to do with it but perhaps worthy of note.
Usedtobefast

Post by Usedtobefast »

TeeJayAZ wrote: Not sure if the fancy brake tests referred to is available - dealer didn't say anything about it.
Unit has brand new tires.
Using the rear brake pedal without touching the front brake lever as I drop below 20mph seems to help. I mentioned this to the service manger and he immediately jumped back with "that activates the front brake as well". Anybody know what percentage of each brake is used when only pressing down on the brake pedal?
I will take it to another dealer for a second opinion as I'm convinced I'm not imagining the problem (I've been riding for 40+ years and have owned over a dozen motorcycles). I'm AM convinced that this dealership is trying to protect themselves - if the brakes need to be fixed the obvious question will become "Why was this machine cleared for resale with faulty brakes"

Any update on this?  I've dealt a bit with a "GO" dealer in Las Vegas and they were pretty horrible.