Paint Protection Kits - any cons?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
RTFever

Paint Protection Kits - any cons?

Post by RTFever »

I'm thinking of buying an RT that has a paint protection kit on it. I've not seen it in person yet, but from the dealer photos it's impossible to tell that it has anything on top of the original paint job - the bodywork looks almost immaculate. What will happen to this paint protection film in the longer term though? If it starts to look shabby later on can it be easily removed without any damage to the underlying paintwork? Tbh I'd not even heard of these kits until now, and if I'd had one on my last RT perhaps I would still have it..
Levisp

Re: Paint Protection Kits - any cons?

Post by Levisp »

When I got my bike back in 2014 I had the dealer fit Venture Shield paint protection. It is simply brilliant. Very hard to see. Treat it as if it's not there, so wash and wax as normal. If you want to take it off then it just peals off leaving no residue or paint damage. As far as I know most are UV stable in other words the film will stay clear and not discolour. Nothing to worry about. Protects paint from scuffs and stone crips.
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

I  had paint protection on my previous K1600 GTL and have it on my current R1250RT (both applied by Paintguard).

Agree completely with Levisp.

I had a stone chip "nick" on one of my K1600 panniers, but the film took the damage - paintwork untouched underneath.  Being OCD, I had a new piece of film fitted and everything was back to new.

Old Foxy
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Not sure of the brand, but I have PPF on my ‘15 RT. No issues whatsoever. I had PPF applied to my Porsche Cayman  and it was expensive— about $2000 — but well worth the protection and anxiety relief.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

They "can" go slightly yellow with age so you can then see them more easily but they are OK to remove and replace. Also on my Lotus I picked up some marks on areas that would have got warm from the engine that I could not get off although when I had it detailed they did come off. It can also show scuffs but less so than if the scuff was on the underlying paint.

However these are minor issues and I would not hesitate to have it on a vehicle again. I had it fitted to both my RTs when I bought them and no regrets. I particularly appreciated the film on top of the panniers as my wife has poor mobility so regularly kicked them when getting on or off the bike so it really saved the paint there.