Admin

Re: Testing 1 2 3

Post by Admin »

Hmm - something is not right here - testing again - 1 2 3
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Ok, I think I got it.
A small glitch after the last upgrade of the forum software - made it difficult to post.
Hopefully better now ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No problem at all at 1515.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Thank you RTman10, but found a small glitch - that could give some browsers - an empty window after posting - and a timeout.
Hopefully fixed now  ;)
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

More testing - using FF
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Now testing - using Safari
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Ok, fired up vmware - and now running XP and IE-8
Seems to work ?
Bertie

R1200RTLC - My story so far ...

Post by Bertie »

Thought I would tell you how I came to buy a R1200RTLC.
I had owned a GL1800 Goldwing  from new for 9 years and although it was a very capable touring bike, far better than some assume,  I always had my Idea of what an ideal touring bike should be. I looked to Honda or BMW to achieve this goal, although I had never owned the latter I considered their more "out of the box" way of thinking would someday come up with the goods.
When the K1600 was introduced I welcomed the opportunity to test one but was disappointed, the transmission backlash was unacceptable, and although the K was lighter than the wing in reality fully fuelled the weight on the road didn't make a lot of difference not at least the difference I was seeking. This opinion was confirmed when this summer I was loaned (after buying an RT) a K1600GTLE for the period of the suspension recall and "lived" with it for a 2 week 2500 mile European holiday along with my wife who rides pillion majority of the times the bikes out. Yes, it had better ground clearance and straight line acceleration but the wing had better engine torque and overall comfort. In reality the two bikes were not different enough and were not the bikes I had always waited for. Large multi cylinder bikes are fun to ride but you pay for the size and associated weight disadvantages.
I had followed the evolution of the RT series for some years testing a 1200SE in 2012 with a degree of disappointment. It was at the time of the imminent arrival of the water cooler GS and the following year I tested one and quite liked the new engine, powerful and relatively smooth. In November 2013 I visited the NEC to have my first look at the R1200RTLC had a road test in March and bought one. Performance wise the RT comes in between the wing and the K1600, but the handling and manageability are in another class.
Finally I have got as close to it presently gets to my "ideal tourer", everything my previous bikes gave me plus up to date instrumentation, handling, performance and economy (up to 56 MPG). My wife and I have rediscovered motor cycle touring!
Since owning the RTLE I have fitted the following Accessories -
BMW Large Top box with light and central locking - not colour matched it looks OK as it is.
Chrome Pannier strips.
Autocom SPA with Bluetooth module - not prepared to pay £1050 for a radio that I wouldn't use and prefer wired headsets.
Nav V - always used Garmin do my routes in basecamp and have my music loaded on it and it works fine.
Avant Mudguard Extender - well made, looks good and does the job.
Wunderlich engine protector - small but catches the mud that gets past the Avant. Front of engine now protected but underside (sump) still gets mud on it.
Wunderlich Crash Bars (chrome) - fit well, look good and still able to gain access around cylinders.
Halfords Body Protectors - didn't like rear crash bars looked like the ones I had on my Bonneville in the 70's, protectors sold on acc. sites expensive, these look good and are positioned to protect panniers in the event of bike falling over.
Bertie

Getting there?

Post by Bertie »

Hi
I see my post has finally made it. But I have had to remove the 2 photos I added via "attachments and other options"
Is there something I am doing wrong?
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Bertie - I have tested using different style images - and find no problems.
What type (ending tree letters) are your images ?

Attachments
P7140114.JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree with all your findings. I had RTs for 11 years bur couldn't  resist the 1600 when it came out in 2011. I endured 2 1/2 years of crashing gear changes and clunking rear drives as well as 5 switch failures.  Then swapped to an Exclusive which had a better drive chain but the extra 15 kgs and extra height for the pillion ruined it for me.  My LE  however is a dream in comparison.  I have lost the audio unit and keyless ignition but its no loss. My Nav V provides great music via Autocom and the keyless ignition is suspect according to recent news reports.  PS  What are these Halfords protectors.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Both images were jpeg one 1.23MB the second 897KB
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for your reply RTman. I have photos of the Halfords Protectors but as you can see I am having probs. Here is a link http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-styling/exterior-protection/halfords-bodywork-protectors-black
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thanks.  Will have a look in my local Halfords tomorrow.  Lets hope you can get your pics up before I stick them in the wrong place.