Moving over to the 'dark side'! (Newbie)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
elephant8869

Re: Moving over to the 'dark side'! (Newbie)

Post by elephant8869 »

Good write up by 7vwh comparing police RT with 2014 bike. I hear on the grape vine that 2014 police spec RTs are being trialled at the moment in the uk.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stelyn wrote: Hi,  how do you intend to fit the Optimate, if it’s not the `canbus’  compatible type,  I’m guessing then direct to the battery with a lead out from the panels somewhere ?
Very nice `pic’s’,  but park in the back of the yard and use a Bike Cover  to hide it,  or Professional Standards  ( C&D in my day )  will start `snooping’ for spending all that money !!.  ( you lucky wotsit )

Ride Safe..... 8)
The 14 RT is not Canbus but Linbus.  If you want to charge the battery via an accessory plug you need the latest BMW charger.  If you go directly to the battery any decent charger should do. As the battery is well buried you would need to connect some wiring to allow connection though.     
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I've used the optimate connector and fixed it direct to the battery terminal, along with the +ve and earth for the Fuzeblock. The battery is quite accessible, two fairing screws, a strip of rubber and a plastic shield is all that needs removing.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

7vwh wrote: I've used the optimate connector and fixed it direct to the battery terminal, along with the +ve and earth for the Fuzeblock. The battery is quite accessible, two fairing screws, a strip of rubber and a plastic shield is all that needs removing.
Not as accessible as the old RT though, ie lift the seat.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

You have a lovely looking bike, I was too impatient when I took early retirement 12 months ago and snapped up a new 90th Anniversary version. No doubt I will end up with a WC in a year or so.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Cheers folks

Stelyn - thanks for the heads up, 3 years and 56 days to go!! Did notice on of the PSB senior lot viewed my LinkedIn the other day  ::)
BeemerBaz - enjoy your 90, in a year or so all the beta testing and repairs might be complete on the new RT lol.
RTman10 - I'm not adverse to taking anything to bits to get to know the bike :-)

Well, after two lovely sunny days of tinkering in the glorious sunshine (evening parties and drinkies prevented riding!!) I have now installed the comms etc.
I've used a fuzeblock to save messing with relays etc, I had a Centech on the Fazer which was very good.
I ran two leads direct from the battery to the Fuzeblock and took the switched live from the rear accessory socket (the red and green wire). I removed the rear rack cover, rear rack and one grab handle to to make access easier and used a Posi-tap.
There is surprisingly loads of room under the pillion seat so velcroed (is that an actual word?) the devices in place. In my opinion it all looks tidy and works a treat. I just need to run the radio remote transmit switch up the the handle bar and fit the remote aeriel.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Great pics.  Space isn't there if you opt for the audio unit.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just one thing to remember if anyone decides to use an accessory plug for power.  Any BMW battery charger won't work from that plug as they detect the devise attached and shut down.  Obviously not a  problem if You are charging with a direct connection to the battery. 
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Thanks RTman10, there's not much info out there on how this schizel happens so I just worked through it. I've not seen under the seat of an audio equipped bike tbh. Thank you again for your early assistance matey, much appreciated.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Hi 7vwh,
What will you use to mount your remote aerial and where do you intend to mount it?
I have a mitex radio which I mount between the bars due to no room under my seats (audio unit)
If I can find somewhere hidden to place the mitex then I will need a similar set up to you

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Very good and informative photo's and what a neat professional looking job.. nice one mate  ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Maz,
I've initially mounted the aerial adjacent to the under tray but I havent had chance to test the reception yet. I fabricated the bracket myself, basically it's an L shaped piece with a hole in each 'arm' and one arm is folded up through 90 degrees (if that all makes sense!).

Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Now you've thrown me,  I was expecting some sort of bracket near the top box area!
I thought aerials worked best when vertical ( no idea why I think that)
Please let me know if it works ok in that position.. If it does then that gives me a lot more choices.
I've seen what look like purpose built aerial brackets on the K16,  Perhaps RTMAN will know the one I mean
Thanks for the reply
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: Now you've thrown me,  I was expecting some sort of bracket near the top box area!
I thought aerials worked best when vertical ( no idea why I think that)
Please let me know if it works ok in that position.. If it does then that gives me a lot more choices.
I've seen what look like purpose built aerial brackets on the K16,  Perhaps RTMAN will know the one I mean
Thanks for the reply
Sorry, I don't.  I think you are correct about aerials working much better when vertical though. I think over the pond these types of things are more common so I would suggest you have a trawl  through the K1600 forum.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I've got a bracket that mounts behind the registration plate which holds the aerial vertically but it looks bloody ugly and I need a big washer before I can use it