General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Insured Warranty

Post by David. »

BoB21 wrote:Obviously the cost of the warranty has been £980.00 for 7 months annually over the last 4 years.

Not true figure as not deducting breakdown cost.
The cost of the warranty claims has been, brakes £680 inc. and switch £390 + labour (unknown),  a total of more than £1,070.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: The cost of the warranty claims has been, brakes £680 inc. and switch £390 + labour (unknown), a total of more than £1,070.

It's not a true figure. The brakes shouldn't have been a warranty claim as it was self inflected by using ACF50 which made the seals swell up. Glad you got it under the warranty cover, which show's BWM do look after there customers better than others (IMHO)

Really you should deduct the brake claim from you total figure and add back on the £100 excess you would have paid to give a more realistic figure.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The switch claim was self inflicted too due to over use of the cruise control. The +/- button had become worn but the cc was still functioning.

For £245 per year, I like the comfort of having a warranty.

I was offered a very favourable deal on the hourly labour rate (for older bikes) which has significantly reduced the bespoke labour only service costs.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Obviously the cost of the warranty has been £980.00 for 7 months annually over the last 4 years.

Not true figure as not deducting breakdown cost.

Yes I know Bob. I'm trying to see how cost effective it is for when my warranty runs out in 15 months time on the GS. I already have AA cover for my car and RT so adding the GS at the end of it's warranty wouldn't cost me anything.

So David's cost over the past 4 years have been

£350.00 labour only by BMW for servicing to uphold the T&C's of the warranty.
£980.00 for the 7 Months warranty
£100.00 excess for the claim for front calipers
£100.00 excess for the claim for the handle bar switch
£1530.00 total.
Parts claimed under warranty = £1070.00 with labour costs unknown.

My costs over the past four years = £0.00 other than service parts which aren't included in David's either. If I had similar problems as David has encountered with the front brakes I'd have bought a Brake repair kit from Motorworks for the sum of £73.00 and done it myself, also I'd have bought a used Left hand switch gear again from Motorworks for £180 (mines more expensive because it's a higher spec bike) and fitted it myself, giving me a total outlay of £253.00 over 4 years. Even if you factor in the cost of Breakdown and Recovery for 12 months of the year, my AA policy covers 'me' and whatever vehicle owned by me that I'm travelling in or on so breaking that cost down over four or five vehicles the monthly cost becomes very cheap. David will also have to purchase Breakdown & Recovery for his other bike/vehicles.

Each to their own though!  I'm just glad they're pretty good reliable bikes on the whole. 

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:David will also have to purchase Breakdown & Recovery for his other bike/vehicles.
Have recently taken out breakdown cover with AutoAid, Personal Based Breakdown Cover - AutoAid Breakdown using this link you get £6 cashback.

It's personal cover for you, plus your legal spouse, civil or common law partner for any vehicle they ride or drive.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Debating myself wheather to continue with warranty. But I have had front and rear shocks and control unit replaced. tyre pressure sensor replaced. so quids in so far.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

My bike is similar to Davids, albeit not as clean, and mine gets used throughout the winter.

I've not taken out a warranty and I've (thankfully) not needed one.  I reckon I've saved a few £s by not buying the warranty.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think the devil is in the detail of what is covered. I think I will take out the warranty in April when my manufacturer warranty finishes. On our fleet of 1250 s we have had two bikes already have their engine casings changed due to corrosion. On our 2015 bike the stator and alternator needed replacing, discounted price was over 2k. Pity the exhaust flap isn’t covered 😂
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If I was using my bike throughout the year, an annual warranty premium would be ~£400. Then there would be paying BMW ~£130 per hour for labour to maintain the T&C's.

If this was the case, I'd certainly consider whether or not to take out a warranty. If I don't make a claim, it's cost me less than £5 per week. The bespoke (reduced) service costs are minimal too. If I didn't have a warranty, I'd still continue to have some items done at the BMW dealers.

If you have stand alone breakdown cover, you can save some cash by not selecting BMW Roadside Assistance. I chose to include it, keeping everything under one roof.

It is true that an extended insured warranty is not as comprehensive as the 3 years manufacturers warranty but what does it cost to replace your bike every 3 years.

I had the front engine cover replaced under the 1 year used bike warranty/goodwill. This would not have been covered with the extended insured warranty. Under the electrical system, the alternator is covered but not an engine out job like on a Wethead.

BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, details of cover, https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Warranty#_WarrantyDetails

F&R shock absorbers are only covered up to 30,000 miles, control units are covered under the electrical system.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's that time of year again, just renewed my lapsed BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty to start on 1st April 2023.

The premium is £35 per month for a warranty inc. roadside assistance with an excess of £100.

Will pay this for 7 months until 31st October 2023.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Here's hoping you don't need to claim on it this year.

Do you start up your bike over the winter David, or just cross your fingers on the 1st April that it will fire into life?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:30 pmDo you start up your bike over the winter David, or just cross your fingers on the 1st April that it will fire into life.
No, I don't start the bike over winter, if it doesn't start on 1st April, I just ring BMW.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:30 pmDo you start up your bike over the winter David, or just cross your fingers on the 1st April that it will fire into life.
Fired the bike up today for the first time since 5th December 2022 (over 4 months). It started at the second attempt. Should be good to go this weekend and for the Northern Monkeys meet the weekend after, on Sunday 23rd April.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's that time of year again, just renewed my lapsed BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty to start on 1st April 2024.

The premium is £35 per month for a warranty inc. roadside assistance with an excess of £100.

Will pay this for 7 months until 31st October 2024.