New tyre warning

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

New tyre warning

Post by Doctor T »

Had to replace my new rear tyre as i found a slit in the sidewall. The company gave a no quibble replacement by next day delivery and collection. I balanced and fitted the tyre. As yesterday was dry but cold i thought a ride out would be nice. Well pulling out my road to turn right the rear tyre slide. This sent me about 5 yards with the bike sliding under me. Bit shaken and with the 2 ladies that stopped to help, i picked up the bike and parked it on the side of the road. No men stopped to help and just drove pasted looking at me.
I looked at the road surface and couldn't see any diesel or oil, so i think it was a mixture of cold/new tyre and too much throttle. This is the first time this has ever happened to me on new tyres. On looking at the tyre it does seem to have a thick layer of releasing agent. Ive had Roadtec 01 on bikes before and they never slipped when new.

Damage to bike and remember i was only pulling out of a side road at approx 3/4mph. 1 x indicator, scrape above this. Scratch on mid panel. 1 x plastic engine protector. This broke off and the rocker cover grazed. 1 x pannier covers heavily scratched. Lucky the mirror popped off without damage.
This morning i visited a few paint shops to get quotes for the pannier. this ranged between £250 and £400 plus vat. Then got a quote from a car wrap shop that will wrap both panniers for £120 inc vat. They have vinyl wrap that is nearly the same colour but suggested they may look better in matt carbon wrap. They said they can have both done in 40 minutes. They will include covering the little panels above both indicators for free.
Things I've ordered already. Replacement indicators. Not OE but £29.00 for 2. Engine protectors again not OE. £35.00 for 2.
So a 3/4mph spill is not a cheap fix. AS this was a very cheap bike to buy, i don't want to pay out much. If it was a £4000 bike it may be different and i would claim on the insurance.
Damage to me. Bruised wrist and a bruised hip. Think my hip would have hurt most but the D30 pad took the impact. Shaken but not stirred. Oh, a scrape on my new visor.

Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: New tyre warning

Post by jackronner »

That slick new tire problem used to be a real problem,  but I haven't noticed it much in the last 10 yrs or so.  I think the tire companies got tired of being sued.  They still say "be careful for the first 100 miles, etc.",  but never caution you that, if you're traveling on straight roads mostly for the first 100, be REALLY careful if you start riding into some sharp twisties.  The sides of the tires are probably still slippery. 

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Glad you're ok.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thanks, simbo. On stripping down the fairing i notice the bike has been down before. The part of the frame that the mirror is attached has been repaired before.
Also, the labels on this side of the fairing are dated 2011(my bike is from 2007) and i found a bit of overspray inside the pannier lid.
With a gas torch and a prybar ive straighten the fairing frame within 5mm of what it should be and it all lines up now.
As i said in another post instead of spraying the panniers am having them wrapped in a carbon effect. Up to £300 to spray just one pannier is a joke. Both panniers and the colored wings that are by the mirrors come to £120 wrapped. If the bike was a £4000 to £7000 plus bike i would have claimed in the insurance
As my excess is only £150 but saying that as i paid under £2000 for the bike, the insurance would probably write it off.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.