how many ride all year?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
heynez

Re: how many ride all year?

Post by heynez »

I ride all year but found this bike for sell. Whoever this person is. Incredible!!! Check out the miles. So awesome.

I want to meet this person.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/201 ... 5019439755
Happy-Shrapnel

Post by Happy-Shrapnel »

Yup all year, except in icy/snow or below 8c
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Yes, all year round and since starting a new central London based job in September, 2k miles per month (50 miles/2hours each way).
I would not ride in "real" snow or ice but this winter we have not had either and the lowest temperature was only -4c so even that was not too daunting!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I went out for an early coffee meet recently and discovered the bike had an ‘ice warning’ icon that appeared onscreen at 3c, it was a bit chilly… but heated vest/seat/grips were a godsend!

It’s not the cold that would keep me off the bike so much as the damned salt they insist on chucking all over the place.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

As my RT cost me under 2 grand( bought it from a trade site only) the road salt and cold don't really bother me. But if the bike was worth more i would be washing it down after any ride.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
RT in BC
Canada

Post by RT in BC »

The stuff that is constantly applied to our roads in town and to the highways here keeps me off during the colder months.  It is a "brine" mixture applied with a spreader from the backs of tanker trucks.  It is known to be kind of sticky, and tremendously corrosive.  Our outside taps ("hose bibs") are shut off over the cold months due to freezing, so it isn't very convenient to wash down a bike after every ride.  Needless to say, our trucks and cars suffer the effects of winter.Cheers to all,