1250RT LE - Mobile phone compatibility with TFT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

1250RT LE - Mobile phone compatibility with TFT

Post by MattyP »

Hi All.

I'm after some advice / wisdom please.  On Saturday I took possession of my new 1250RT LE from my local dealership.  Great bike BUT..... when we were exploring the TFT screen functions the dealer told me I had to download the 'BMW Connected' app to my phone.  This I duly did on to my android Moto8 phone (2 years old).  The fist problem was that the phone didn't fit in to the compartment on the right hand side of the bike - it is 3mm too long.  The Bike handbook gives max dimensions of 162mm x 78mm x 8.8mm.  The phone also needs to be able to be charged through the 'wifi' pad in the compartment....however, for phones less than 148mm long the connection can be via USB as the cable will fit (only just though as it obviously sticks out from the bottom of the phone in the compartment).

The above was only the FIRST problem though!

So, on Saturday afternoon I trawled the tinternet and purchased a Nokia C01 (16gb) (£79.99) plus an SD card (64gb) (£9.99).  This is only 148mm long and will connect via USB (just) ..... I don't know if it will charge via the wifi because I was just relieved to have a phone that would fit the compartment! 

Now for the SECOND problem (pretty critical too!).  I downloaded the 'BMW Connected' app and started to download maps and set it up.  However, I hit a problem in that to work, the app needs to be given permission 'to override all other apps' whilst it is working.  The Nokia C01 doesn't allow this to happen as it would impair the performance of the phone to a critical extent ie. it would slow the phone down to an extent that it wouldn't function..... so not surprisingly it doesn't allow the override.  (You can imagine how pleased I was to have spent another £90 on a new phone for it not to work.....along with the ball ache that comes with swapping phones / data etc).

There is another issue of the amount of storage needed on the phone to install a decent range of European maps.

Of course, when I purchased the bike the dealer didn't say to me, "Oh, and by the way you may well have to buy another phone for the TFT Navigation and other functions to work".  I have today been back to the dealer who maintain this is the first time they have encountered the problem and will investigate it for me......"But it won't be a very quick resolution!" 

So, I'm left with a brand new, very expensive bike that has no navigation and very little TFT functionality.

The question I am really looking for help with is has anybody faced this problem before and what is the solution ie what phones (I really am looking for a cheap android that will do the job as I don't particularly like Apple and the price tag that goes with it).  What phones will a) fit the compartment b) charge with wifi pad c) have sufficient storage for European maps d) allow the 'BMW Connected' app to function and override other apps without loss of phone performance.

What a ball ache!

I'm not happy!......PLEASE HELP!

Matty
dpickens

Re: 1250RT LE - Mobile phone compatibility with TFT

Post by dpickens »

Many people are in the same situation.

David McK on YouTube and elsewhere has lots of posts on the issues he's faced and had to overcome.

He's settled on the Samsung Galaxy S10.

Others like the Google Pixels (not sure which one specifically).

I would avoid the iPhones as there are issues that I've had and likely will be getting a new Samsung Galaxy S model to avoid them myself.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

I have a Samsung S20 and it works fine, only issue is it won't wireless charge if it has its protective case on.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Most Sumsung phones will work fine from the S9 upwards, the Samsung S21+ is the largest phone you can get it (without it's cast on) and works perfect.
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi all

I am very grateful for your replies and insight - all terrific and extremely helpful.  It seems that most people end up going for a two phone solution so I have just ordered a refurbished Samsung S10 to use as my dedicated bike phone. At the risk of sounding really ignorant / incompetent (which I am where tech is concerned - generational thing!) do I need to put a SIM in to the S10 or can I just download BMW Connected app and use it just for the Navigation side?

In following your posts I have also discovered the Youtube posts from 'Highland Rider'..... another 'top man' who has so much insight and experience to share.

The forum is superb - because of guys like you!

Many thanks again.  Matty
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

The very reason I opted for a 2020 model as I was offered a 2021 as well.

michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I looked at having a phone just for the bike but felt I was no better off.

Without a sim you will need to remove the phone and connect it to Wifi to down load any maps or routes you plan, while out on a route you won't be able to find any POI using the wonder wheel.
You won't be able to access any saved routes or last designations.

You may have to take the phone out to start the app or turn the phone on if it's gone flat so the wireless charging kicks in.

IMHO the Samsung S10 is a good phone anyway so just use it as your everyday phone and bike phone or at the least get a cheap sim card on a PAYG
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Up to last year i just an old smartphone as a sat-nav. Downloaded all the mapping apps that i needed via wifi. The phone has never had a sim fitted. As long as the GPS is turned on it worked perfectly, much better than a dedicated unit. I did have to run a charger lead on all the time as GPS on a phone runs the battery down quite quick. I have seen videos on the problem you have and even more for the new Goldwing
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

michaelc2710 wrote: IMHO the Samsung S10 is a good phone anyway so just use it as your everyday phone and bike phone or at the least get a cheap sim card on a PAYG
Peronally I'd agree with this.
If you have a phone solely for navigation then you can't make/recieve calls. This is not something that I make a habit of doing but it's nice to have the option to hand should you choose to use it.
But each to their own, hope you get it sorted whichever route you take Image
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I read that you stated you have no navigation am i right in saying that the new TFT screen does not have navigation installed ? whats the point of the large screen then ?
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

hammo wrote: I read that you stated you have no navigation am i right in saying that the new TFT screen does not have navigation installed ? whats the point of the large screen then ?
There is NO navigation installed on the bike. The navigation comes from the BMW Connected app which is installed on your phone but displayed on the TFT.
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi Hammo

Yorkie is spot on!  No nav on the TFT - it is wifi'd / bluetoothed in from the 'BMW Connected' app which is downloaded on to your phone.  Gone are the days of the simple Tom Tom/ Garmin I'm afraid.  Debatable whether this is progress or not..... it's certainly a lot more faff! Matty