TB sync

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

TB sync

Post by Doctor T »

Bike 2007 R1200rt. Am going to sync my throttle bodies tomorrow. I've done this on all my old bikes but never a Throttle body, all the rest were carbs. Viewed a few videos on YT and it looks straightforward job. The only thing i can't find out is what should the tic over be set at. I can take a guess at around the 1150 mark but my OCD would like to get it spot on. Do you know the tic over rev's?.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: TB sync

Post by simbo »

Im pretty sure the idle speed is set by the ECU... there are some videos on balancing the throttle bodies on YouTube with a watch.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote:The only thing I can't find out is what should the tic over be set at. I can take a guess at around the 1150 mark but my OCD would like to get it spot on. Do you know the tic over rev's?
The Haynes manual gives an engine idle speed of 1100 to 1200 rpm.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:I'm pretty sure the idle speed is set by the ECU.
You are correct, "Notice I do not do an idle sync as on the R1200 it is not possible. Nor is it possible to adjust the idle speed. This is all done via the stepper motors by the computer (ECU)."

BMW R1200GS / R1200 Throttle Body Synchronisation (Synchronization) (motorcycleinfo.co.uk)
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thanks, chaps. Couldn't find the idle screws show on some YT videos. So as pointed out it must be controlled by the ECU. The right side needed a tiny adjustment, which i did by adjusting the throttle cable. I left a 5mm play in the cables. Didn't really need to do but am fussy. I must say even that tiny adjustment makes the tic over feel better.
Before anyone says i checked the valves just over 250 miles ago but just double-checked again before balancing.

Couple more questions.
Do the valve gaps go out of range between service schedules?
My throttle cables were changed at the last BMW service, approx 700 miles ago. Do these cables stretch a lot, requiring TB sync every few thousand?
Although ive owned many boxers in the past, all were carb models so am a newbie with Boxer throttle bodies and their cable setups.
My first taste of TB was with my old 2007 which i never touched as it was under 3 years old when it was nicked. Thinking of it my K75 had TB but again that was only serviced by BMW.

Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.