Where / how to buy a motorbike in Spain (Malaga area)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 904 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Where / how to buy a motorbike in Spain (Malaga area)

Post by Doctor T »

I have UK and French licenses. I lived in La Rochelle western France for over 12 years, i also have dual nationality passports. Back then i just filled in a form that was a bit like a vehicle tax form and paid at the post office. 1 month later i had received a French license. I needed papers to confirm my address, passport, UK license, and i was a legal resident in the country. This was easy pre-Brexit. These days it would and possibly be easier to use the UK registered bike. But i can only stay in the country for a set amount of time or you will have to register it there and pay import duty.
Saying all that, as UK licenses are still valid in the EU perhaps you only have to follow the route i did.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Thanks, Douglas - much appreciated.

There's some useful info here too:  https://www.spainlawyer.com/legal-guide/driving-your-car-buying-a-car-in-spain/

JtL
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Jack_the_Lad. After looking at the link, I think that the part of Drivers Licences refer to Pre Brexit and not post Brexit. Will need to check that.