Pops and bangs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

Pops and bangs

Post by Backofbeyond »

Hello just looking for a bit of info. I am new to the RT, its a 2006 model and notice when slowing down and going down the gears the exhaust pops a little, is this normal for this engine? Its not loud but I can hear it. I just would like to know incase its fuel thats not getting burned or something else, cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Re: Pops and bangs

Post by burridge01 »

1st thing to do is make sure the exhaust is tight with no leaks.
Movinman
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Movinman »

I have a new 2022 with less than 800 miles on the clock and noticed the same thing.  Probably normal.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Pops and bangs when reaccelerating can be caused by a few things.
1. Leak in the exhaust system
2. Out of balance throttle bodies
3. Over fueling. Could the previous owned have fit a power commander or such alike thing?
4. A squashed or broken air Tube.
I get a pop every now and then when hard deaccelerating. My advice is just to check the exhaust joint and as long as the bike rides correctly don't bother about it. Like me, on my 2007 you probably have the same exhaust system on that came from the factory. 16 years i a long time for a bit of thin metal to last when out in all weathers. Just enjoy the bike and ride safetly. Dont be a snob and nod/wave at other bike riders on your trips out.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

I've got the BMW factory fit option of the Akrapovic titanium HP muffler, pops/bangs/crackles on upward gear changes and throttle closed deceleration, absolutely GREAT.
Last edited by mondeoman on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mondeoman
Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Backofbeyond »

Thanks for all the replies, its more noticeable going down the gears but but thats good that everyone has almost said the same thing  as for the nods everyone gets it where possible, I think it reflects back on the person when they don't give it back but no sleep lost over it cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk