Fitting Cyclops LED headlight conversion

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
RTeousJohn

Fitting Cyclops LED headlight conversion

Post by RTeousJohn »

Having run the Cyclops conversion on my KTM 1190 Adventure - a paint-blistering improvement on a performance bike badly let down by lousy lights, I wanted to do the same on a recently acquired 1250RT.

Thanks to Mike Bines at Sportouring.co.uk for promptly supplying the kit.  It took a while to strip the front end of the bike and get the headlight out - but all in not a bad job.
The Cyclops instructions covered fitting the separate lamp adaptor rings into the housing very well, but I baulked at squeezing the electronics between the shell and reflectors, until I took advice from TJRL and MarkMDill here, who had done the same before me: many thanks guys![size=78%] [/size]

Now all done, massively boosted light output, and no dashboard warnings - so a happy bunny here.
To help others here is a picture showing approx placement of the leecy bits:  [size=15px]https://link.shutterfly.com/t85XlUQkV5 [/size][size=78%]  [/size]

From a static test it is plain to see the huge increase on light output and I thoroughly recommend the result.  And I may not need to reach in there [like the gynaecologist painting the hallway through the letterbox?] in the life of the bike.

All I need now is a 'key worker' reason to go out... O:-)

R1250RT Red-Slate
NLC

Re: Fitting Cyclops LED headlight conversion

Post by NLC »

How has the install worked out? Looking to do the same for my 2016 rt.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

I'm interested in this as well, also with a 16 1200.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Having found the headlight at night on my ‘16 LC is rather pants I had a recommendation to change to Intel LED bulbs. Well I changed them and the dip beam is not much better. So are there any other bulbs that are any better? I have used Oscan Nightbreakers in the past which improve the light output but is the Cyclops kit better? They are shockingly expensive so I would expect top notch vision from them. I don’t mind taking the headlight unit out again but if I do I want something that will be a decent improvement.
RTeousJohn

Post by RTeousJohn »

Update in March 2022.   
Cyclops lights have been faultless and remain the 'best bang for your buck' change I have made to the bike.

And I have not needed to go back in there (ouch) to change any bulbs in 25,000 miles...
R1250RT Red-Slate
Fourbears
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Having fitted the Cyclops conversion I bought from Sport Touring’s eBay shop I was intrigued/perturbed to find no resistor in the pack. Mike at ST assured me that it was the correct kit and duly fitted it. Only problem is that I get the high beam bulb failure warning light when I use main beam with the lights on and this doesn’t happen with the DRL’s on. I have emailed ST via eBay but no reply as yet. Anyone know if I can get the canbus resistor separately? I was about to email Cyclops but I’m not sure ST are a recognised dealer for them.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

You could call him… 01443 742421
Fourbears
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

I’ve heard back from them and they will get me what I need. That’s good service.
NOMAP

Post by NOMAP »

I also put Cyclops in my 1190 and loved them so much that I replaced all the bulbs in my '05 RT with Cyclops bulbs. It was the best accessory I did to the RT. The daylight brightness makes a huge difference compared to the old halogens and makes the old gal look like a modern bike.
MoPops
Bike Model and Year: 2011 R1200RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by MoPops »

NOMAP wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:11 am I also put Cyclops in my 1190 and loved them so much that I replaced all the bulbs in my '05 RT with Cyclops bulbs. It was the best accessory I did to the RT. The daylight brightness makes a huge difference compared to the old halogens and makes the old gal look like a modern bike.
Can you just do bulbs? If the bulbs from Cyclops work, would other LED bulbs work? I just want to put in bulbs, I don’t want to cut up the cover, or rewire the lights. I know this is an old thread, but it’s one of the more recent LED discussions I’ve found.
Never mind.. I went to the Cyclops page. Looked at the install instructions. It looks like there’s a lot more to this than I thought. You need the adaptor and canbus resistor. I guess you just pay the $200 which is fine.
Edit.. I ordered the Cyclops set for my 2011 RT.. I guess I should delete this post. Ha!
Thx