Advice new RT rider

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Jon75

Advice new RT rider

Post by Jon75 »

[size=15px]Hi greetings from Ireland, I have 2005 R1200RT with 38k miles, the ABS servo is working but planning on bypassing it very soon, and upgrade the fuel pump controller, the ESA is working perfectly and what advice would you recommend to maintain and keep it working order, what setting to leave it in and take stress off the motors? Thanks folks 👍[/size]
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Advice new RT rider

Post by David. »

Jon75 wrote:The ESA is working perfectly and what advice would you recommend to maintain and keep it working order, what setting to leave it in and take stress off the motors.
On my 2012 Camhead, the ESA is set to COMF: Comfortable damping and One-up: Load. AFAIK, the motors are only active (moving) when changing the settings.

It might not do any harm to occasionally change the settings to check the operation of the damping and load settings.
Chaostrophy

Post by Chaostrophy »

Why bypass? As long as they are working, they are wonderful, and you'll lose the ABS. Loved them on my GS. Not that I didn't fear the day something went wrong with them,. In theory, Module Masters rebuilds them now.
Jon75

Post by Jon75 »

Thanks guys, anyone else, can comment on the ABS, it’s working perfectly, but heard horror stories about the servo failing and ending up with no braking at all,
Jon75

Post by Jon75 »

Should I leave it or bypass it?
Chaostrophy

Post by Chaostrophy »

You still have brakes, but effort will be very high. When you have space, turn off the key and see how hard stopping is, low speed and plenty of space to recover! And you'll probably get a warning light before it dies completely, I hope. Do flush regularly, look up the procedure, easier with a GS911, but can be done without.
Jon75

Post by Jon75 »

I would assume it would be harder because the ABS pump/servo is still connected, I would  assume the brakes would be ok direct,I drove bikes for years without ABS, and without rider aids,
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

If it works leave it alone
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Blackrat
Great Britain

Post by Blackrat »

I covered 60,000 miles on a 2006 RT over 8 years, never had an issue with the servo brakes. Brake fluid changed regularly probably helped. They don't all fail, and it's only the failures you hear about.

FWIW

Gary
Chaostrophy

Post by Chaostrophy »

The wizzy brakes are unusual, you have 4 fluid reservoirs, not two, there is a connection, but effort is much higher when they are off, if you're used to ready two finger panic stops, you could have a problem. But, they generally don't die without warning, and are wonderful.
Jon75 wrote: I would assume it would be harder because the ABS pump/servo is still connected, I would  assume the brakes would be ok direct,I drove bikes for years without ABS, and without rider aids,