New guy looking at getting first sport touring bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Re: New guy looking at getting first sport touring bike

Post by Levisp »

I have owned both bikes and they are both good. They may share the same engine but they are very different rides. I would test ride both and see what works for you. The RT is a great distance cruncher on fast roads. Wind and weather protection is better than GS. However in the twisties and narrower roads then the GS is better. It's lighter, bars wider and I think generally more dynamic. For range the GS Adventurer wins with its 33 litre fuel tank. My mate thinks the GS Adventurer is more planted than the normal GS. If you are riding gravel tracks or roads in bad repair then go for either GS. Here in the UK I believe the GS is BMW best seller because it can do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajq-K2haEmI
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
italia
Bike Model and Year: '22 R1250 GSA
United States of America

Post by italia »

Thanks Levisp, your posts are on-point with the issues to consider.
My thinking is that I have twisties riding well covered with my other bikes, the US roads I would likely ride with an RT are paved and generally in a good state of condition, and having owned a 450cc Husqvarna Enduro and gotten off-road riding out of my system, I’m not concerned with that strength of the GS.
The 33 liter tank on the GSA is attractive however I thought I read the RT has a 30 liter capacity.  With the superior weather protection of the RT, I’m finding its strengths a more compelling fit for my needs.  A test ride will be a good confirmation.
I do agree that a GS would be an awesome do everything pretty well ‘Swiss Army knife’ kind of bike for someone with only one bike, but I’ve leaned toward picking multiple tools each more focused for intended use - track bike, Enduro, naked sport bike …
Kevin
'22 BMW R1250 GSA 🇩🇪 '16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 '14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS 🇮🇹 '16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 🇮🇹 '19 SWM SM500R Supermoto 🇮🇹
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

Consider this:
there is a reason that *a lot* of police forces around the world ride an RT.
Enough said?
Stay Safe..
Ed.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

italia wrote: Thanks Levisp, your posts are on-point with the issues to consider.
My thinking is that I have twisties riding well covered with my other bikes, the US roads I would likely ride with an RT are paved and generally in a good state of condition, and having owned a 450cc Husqvarna Enduro and gotten off-road riding out of my system, I’m not concerned with that strength of the GS.
The 33 liter tank on the GSA is attractive however I thought I read the RT has a 30 liter capacity.  With the superior weather protection of the RT, I’m finding its strengths a more compelling fit for my needs.  A test ride will be a good confirmation.
I do agree that a GS would be an awesome do everything pretty well ‘Swiss Army knife’ kind of bike for someone with only one bike, but I’ve leaned toward picking multiple tools each more focused for intended use - track bike, Enduro, naked sport bike …

I think then that the RT would suit you well. I still love riding mine. However last year I bought a KTM 890 Adventure. When I want to ride the backroads and be a hooligan I ride the KTM. When I want to travel with my sensible hat on or have the wife on the back I ride the RT. The two compliment each other well.

My 2014 RT has a 25 litre tank and I can usually get around 60 mpg(UK). Normally plan 250 - 270 miles between fuel stops.
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

I was wrong about the RT fuel tank size.  Per the BWM website the 2022 RT has a 25 liter tank.  The 1250GS has a 20 liter tank, and the 1250GSA has a 30 liter tank.  The new Triumph 1200 GT Pro Explorer also has a 30 liter tank.
Kevin
'22 BMW R1250 GSA 🇩🇪 '16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 '14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS 🇮🇹 '16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 🇮🇹 '19 SWM SM500R Supermoto 🇮🇹
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I would have thought that the only reason that one would specify a 30 Litre tank on a Motorcycle is if a journey was being planned where there is a distinct lack of fuel availability. I wonder just how many times owners of the fine R1200GS Adventure have brimmed their tank and then rode it to near empty ?.
My experience of R1200RT touring journeys normally entails a stop every two or three hours for a comfort break, light refreshments, a good old leg stretch and of course top off the fuel. Can't really see the point of lugging around the extra five or six litres of fuel which the GS Adventurer can carry. I found that riding my own GS I needed to stop at more frequent intervals to alleviate the physical discomforts inherent when travelling on fast Motorways. I did like the GS for short (ish) local riding but for those long 500 mile fast Motorway slogs the RT reigns supreme. All IMHO of course as we all are different. 
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

italia wrote: HA!  So should I be afraid to ask?  Why is the GS better than a RT for street-only sport touring?

Because the GS does everything an RT does and more besides. I ride an RT year round and the only thing about it which is better (more convenient) is the tank range, I do roughly 250 miles per week and the GS only has a range of 230 as opposed to the 300 of the RT. saying that I usually call in the garage for some ciggies or a sarnie every day anyway.
The GS is lighter and easier to manoeuver when pushing it out of the garage.
The GS carries just as much luggage as the RT and it connects in the same way.
The GS is more nimble on it's feet when you've got to your destination and removed the luggage to go out exploring local area's.
The GS has a roomier riding position.
The GS doesn't have the pipe & slippers brigade badge.
When you're stood up on a GS to get some airflow in a warm country you're not stooped over and look daft.
The 7" suspension travel is like riding on a magic carpet compared to the harshness of the 4" on the RT. (the gsa has more travel than the gs but when you've factored in the extra weight of the fuel tank and scaffolding they both about the same)
A lot of RT riders talk about "superior weather protection" lol ..You'll find most of them only ride during summer and spend most of their time talking about such nonsense on forums. I ride most days in anything above +2 degrees celcius and you get wet on either bike if it's pissing down enough!. The RT has better wind protection admitted, and I'm sure you'll use the luxury electric uppie downy screen button at least 3 or 4 times a year :-) I've set my screen on my GS with the prehistoric manual thumb wheel (my arms still recovering) sort of once and once it's in the right position you'll never mess with it again. I could go on..

Test ride both bikes because they're "both" Great Bikes!.. The GS is the better bike though :-)

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

Damn you and your list of valid points simbo!  Had to google 'sarnie' as i had no idea.  LOL

So, is the better wind protection on the RT mostly above waist, or are the legs protected significantly better as well?  Puig make a tall windscreen for the GS that has good reviews on wind protection but would be for upper body protection I suppose.

Regarding the GS suspension, BMW make a "Low" model that appears to have 2" less suspension.  Does anyone have any experience with the difference between the "Low" and regular suspensions on the GS?

With respect to the large tank on the GSA, seems to me that unless you were distance touring, you could just fill it 50-60% full on each stop with your buddies that have lower range for just local riding, to lessen the top heaviness.

BTW, what does the pipe & slippers badge look like? :-)
Kevin
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I ride all year round and yes do get caught out in the rain. My experience of both bikes in dirty conditions is that the RT is better. When I had my GS coming back home from a wet dirty ride I had to hose down my legs they were so dirty before going into the house.  Don't get that on the RT. As far as electric screen is concerned I'm one of those riders who likes to look over the screen not through it. In summer it is mainly down for airflow. However if it starts to rain or I'm on a motorway then I adjust it up for better weather / wind protection. If its really cold I do the same. So the electric screen is useful. As for tank range it is not just about long distances. I hate filling up with fuel. So having a descent range is something I appreciate. Pipe and slippers I think is a BMW image which is a little out of date. All bikes have their plus and minus points. There is no such thing as the perfect bike and as individuals we will all like something different. RT / GS both great bikes which is best that's up to you. Have fun test riding them and do lets us know what you think.
GvG

Post by GvG »

My 2 cents;

I ride a '20 R1250RT. Biggest plus for me is the wind and soundprotection with the Puig screen mounted (OEM screen sucks). Always in the lowest position and looking over the screen. Perfect for me at 1'82m. I ride with a jet helmet, gives me a bit more "freedom"; very quiet and no wind, even with this type of helmet. Buddyseat (high version) also very comfortable for my small and light arse.
Standard sidecases also very nice and good quality with central locking, and a RT is very easy to clean.
A small negative is the relatively cramped riding position (even with lowered footpegs),weight/top heaviness and suspension travel (not very good for speedbumps).

The R1250GS is a big supermoto compared to a RT; nice long suspensiontravel, wide handlebars, great legroom and riding position, perfect for the twisties! But a lot more engine/tyre sounds from the front due to the lack of plastic bodywork. Not as good on the highway as a RT.

RT; focus on the highway, GS; focus on the twisties but the 2 can do both.

PS. you can't compare a hex/camhead to a LC or especially a shiftcam 1250; very different bikes/engines......

I love a GS and RT so maybe next time a GS  ^-^
Last edited by GvG on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 900 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Don't worry about the Telelever front suspension. The design is over 80 years old and proven. Unlike normal forks that compress under braking, transferring the weight of the bike to the front. This can cause a loss of braking traction to the front and rear tyres. With the Telelever, less weight is transferred.
The RT carries its weight low down whilst a GSA is top heavy with 30 liters in the tank.
I've had road tests on Multistrada, T850, GS. All nice with drawbacks. 1 is frontal protection and 2 they were all too high to safely put my feet down. Am 5ft.9. I need a step ladder to get on a Yammy T700.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

simbo wrote:
Because the GS does everything an RT does and more besides. I ride an RT year round and the only thing about it which is better (more convenient) is the tank range, I do roughly 250 miles per week and the GS only has a range of 230 as opposed to the 300 of the RT. saying that I usually call in the garage for some ciggies or a sarnie every day anyway.
The GS is lighter and easier to manoeuver when pushing it out of the garage.
The GS carries just as much luggage as the RT and it connects in the same way.
The GS is more nimble on it's feet when you've got to your destination and removed the luggage to go out exploring local area's.
The GS has a roomier riding position.
The GS doesn't have the pipe & slippers brigade badge.
When you're stood up on a GS to get some airflow in a warm country you're not stooped over and look daft.
The 7" suspension travel is like riding on a magic carpet compared to the harshness of the 4" on the RT. (the gsa has more travel than the gs but when you've factored in the extra weight of the fuel tank and scaffolding they both about the same)
A lot of RT riders talk about "superior weather protection" lol ..You'll find most of them only ride during summer and spend most of their time talking about such nonsense on forums. I ride most days in anything above +2 degrees celcius and you get wet on either bike if it's pissing down enough!. The RT has better wind protection admitted, and I'm sure you'll use the luxury electric uppie downy screen button at least 3 or 4 times a year :-) I've set my screen on my GS with the prehistoric manual thumb wheel (my arms still recovering) sort of once and once it's in the right position you'll never mess with it again. I could go on..

Test ride both bikes because they're "both" Great Bikes!.. The GS is the better bike though :-)

As Simbo knows.  I do love my RT.  But its tarmac bike. I have test road loads of touring bikes. and also the GS. As Simbo says, its more nimble. lighter, more responsive  due probably to the longer suspension travel and handlebars.. part from my short legs :P  I would of been riding one.  And he is right about the many RT lads on here, they only bring them out when its sunny or dry.. if if might rain they stay home lol...

Both bikes are great, but I think if you are a picky and fussy person, I would FIRST test ride both bikes on some good old twisty roads. and try some farm roads. with the shit in middle,  you will soon love the GS then lol..

All that being said, for some strange reason, when I sat on Simbos  1250 GS, it is definitely lower, as my legs either grew 2 inch or my fat weight lowered the suspension, cuz I certainly could touch the floor.  ~:~~~~~:)

So maybe next bike might just be the 1300 GS :P

Laters muppets :)
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

So I created this thread 3 months ago about getting a new Sport Touring bike.  Long story short - bought a new '22 GS Adventure with factory Low Suspension.  The ergonomics were really the biggest factor - I just like a more upright position of the GSA better than the RT.  And my wife still has no interest in riding two up.  I may own a RT one day but for now I'm really happy with the GSA.  Thanks for those who chimed in here to help me with my decision!

Kevin
HerfinDave

Post by HerfinDave »

LOVE THE 1250 RT, but couldn’t afford one for my stable. Got a 2014 1200, first of the wetheads. Makes this old guy feel young again