What does the DRL button actually do?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
potatan

What does the DRL button actually do?

Post by potatan »

I've a UK spec 2018 1200RT, and was playing with the DRL button yesterday while parked up with the engine running. All I could discover is that when you press it, the little green indicator lamp comes on in the dash, and another press turns it off. No difference as far as I can tell to the lights themselves, in both cases the 2 round led owl eyes lights were on, along with the middle halogen dipped beam.

What is supposed to happen? And how does the menu setting Vehicle-> DRL -> Automatic/Off operate in conjunction with the handlebar switch?

I'm none the wiser after reading the manual!

Thanks

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: What does the DRL button actually do?

Post by Casbar »

So my understanding is you switch the DRL (angel eyes) on and off via the vehicle menu. In France it is illegal to run with just the Angel Eyes, you must have your dipped headlight on, so most switch off DRL. The DRL is not switched on and off by any buttons on the switch gear, if you are seeing a green light, I think you are switching your aux lights on and off. This is theory as I have never played with it and I can't be bothered to go and check on my bike at the moment :)  Just thought if you are not switching on the aux lights, you might be switching the lights from auto to manual as well, auto means when it gets dark they auto switch on dipped headlines instead of just angel eyes.
Last edited by Casbar on Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: What does the DRL button actually do?

Post by sakm »

DRL button?

or the headlight button?

If you have the auto headlights and if the headlights where on when you was already pressing it then nothing will change except for the headlight symbol on the dash with an "A" on it will go on and off

if the headlights are off and you just have the halo's on then pressing the button will put the headlights on

Also if you have fog lights fitted these will only work with the headlights turned on too