General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Insurance

Post by smileymiley »

Renewed my insurance today, received quote from Mackenzie Hodgson. Been with them for a few years now.
£201 for year fully comp. last year was £164
Compare the Market came up with £186 from Mackenzie Hodgson!
Their email states:
(Your renewal will never be more expensive than a like for like new customer )
So gave them a tinkle.... after a bit of persuasion got them down to £176 with no change in any policy details.
Still worth haggling!

Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Insurance

Post by Doctor T »

Am insured with Carol Nash on a multi bike(2 bikes) policy. £225.00 fully comp. The Rt on its own was £135 Fully comp again. I have 4 years no claims, no pints on license and i do live in a low-risk area.
It's no always the cost but what it includes. Read the full terms before buying.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Renewed my RT Insurance a couple of weeks ago, once again with “BeMoto”. Fully Comp, Full RAC Breakdown and Recovery in the UK and Europe, Legal Expenses, Helmet and Leathers and Personal Accident Cover. £196. It’s really pointless trying to compare different Rider’s premiums as there are so many variables. Although it can be interesting.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Be aware that if you intend to travel abroad your level of insurance cover whilst in the EU may not be the same as that in the UK.
Some Ins polices will only give you the minimum cover that is required in each individual EU country, as an example the minimum cover in France is Third Party, but in Italy it’s Fully Comp, and that’s what you get irrespective of the fact that you’ve paid for Fully Comp on your policy.
When I spoke to the BMW Ins before I paid my due I confirmed that I had fully comp in all counties covered.
Just a word to the wise.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve398 wrote: Be aware that if you intend to travel abroad your level of insurance cover whilst in the EU may not be the same as that in the UK.
Some Ins polices will only give you the minimum cover that is required in each individual EU country, as an example the minimum cover in France is Third Party, but in Italy it’s Fully Comp, and that’s what you get irrespective of the fact that you’ve paid for Fully Comp on your policy.
When I spoke to the BMW Ins before I paid my due I confirmed that I had fully comp in all counties covered.
Just a word to the wise.

Whilst this maybe true, your policy always state that if the policy provides Euro cover for x days, it says it provides the minimum cover required by each country, that is legal bit for driving in other countries. But that does not follow it doesn't cover you for fully comp or whatever you have paid for. My policy states minimum cover, but in the statement of facts and further in the policy, it states that all cover provided in the UK is provided when riding abroad. I am with IAM Surety and my policy is with Ageas. I have never had a policy that only covers the minimum only.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Caspar _

It was a question that I specifically asked on a policy renewal 2 years ago, and was advised that despite having fully comp on my policy I would receive only the minimum cover required in individual countries.

It is now something I confirm whenever my policy renews. BMW was one of the cheapest at this years renewal and confirmed full cover whilst abroad in approved countries.

I only add this to advise others that this MAY be the case and something to confirm, it is also worth adding that as my enquiry was around Brexit time the insurer stated he wasn’t sure what the full implications may be until the dust settled. If we’re back to having full comp as standard I’m delighted, but personally I feel it’s still worth checking.
Last edited by Steve398 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So just rang up and checked. The answer was, the minimum bit is for legal purposes only. There is still an agreement with all countries in Europe that any cover you have in the UK is automatically applied whilst riding or driving abroad. If a country is not in Europe then the policy will only provide minimum cover. The bod says its the same in the UK as in the minimum insurance required is 3rd party to ride or drive, but if you pay for fully comp it is an add on and not a legal requirement. Same for Europe apart from specific countries that legally require fully comp, hence why they state the legal minimum requirement. I did need to let them know the dates I would be travelling, but guess that is for the 90 days I have ink a year.

So as advised it is worth checking, but if you have bought fully comp you will have full comp in Europe for the agreed period in the policy. But check in case you are in fact insured with dodgy insurance.co.uk but the broker I spoke to, said he knows of no company that doesn't extend all your UK insurance to Europe if you have Euro travel on your policy.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Thanks for that, it must have been just over the Brexit period when the Ins company, along with many other businesses, didn’t know how it would work out - hence their uncertainty.

I stand happily corrected 👍
Last edited by Steve398 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve398 wrote: Thanks for that, it must have been just over the Brexit period when the Ins company, along with many other businesses, didn’t know how it would work out - hence their uncertainty.

I stand happily corrected 👍

You have nothing to be corrected about :) You were right in what you stated and yes at the beginning of Brexit there was a lot of uncertainty. Think your advice to check is very valid, as I did, even though my policy docs were reasonably clear on the cover.