Bleed nipple at master cylinder

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 900 times
Been liked: 237 times
Great Britain

Bleed nipple at master cylinder

Post by Doctor T »

Can someone tell me why the front master cylinder has a small bleed nipple fitted?. Can't seem to find any information regarding this.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Re: Bleed nipple at master cylinder

Post by bicyclenut »

Can't tell you the technical reason for this, but when I replaced a brake line to fit some barbacks, it was the only way to get the air out of the brake line. I tried bleeding at the wheel cylinders multiple times and no go. Found info about using this bleeder nipple and did a typical bleed procedure a couple times and the air was gone. Must allow for bleeding when the master cylinder is empty or replaced. All I can say if if you are having problems bleeding the lines at the wheel cylinders, use this as a final step and it works. When I did a normal fluid replacement and brake bleed last week I did not have to use it.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 900 times
Been liked: 237 times
Great Britain

Re: Bleed nipple at master cylinder

Post by Doctor T »

Make sense as the air rises to the top. Just cant remember seeing the set up before. Cheers
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.