Bodywork / tank protection, Venture shield ?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Bodywork / tank protection, Venture shield ?

Post by Panman40 »

I’m just wondering if my recently acquired R1250RT actually has a film protection such as venture shield or not.
I was told by the seller it might have… this is an image of the tank at the top, there seems to be a ridge around the fastener bolt but it could be a moulding mark, anyone see the same on their tank ?.
Thanks.
Attachments
5A7FBDC6-EA5E-4BA1-971C-D18FDEF95ED4.jpeg
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: Bodywork / tank protection, Venture shield ?

Post by michaelc2710 »

looking at the picture I would say so, you will probably have the same ridge on the side panels also
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

I am not so sure, mine does not have Ventureshield , but it does have moulding marks in exactly the same place.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My 1250 has the same ridges and I don't have any paint protection fitted
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Thanks very much guys for confirming this for me, I had a feeling I was told incorrectly, a shame as it means I need to sort something out now at more expensive. I did purchase the pannier clear film from nippy Norman’s but haven’t had the nerve to try and apply it yet…

As for tank protection I’ve been looking for ages now, I found a pair of rubbatech side rubbers for £60 but that seems expensive.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Panman40 wrote: Thanks very much guys for confirming this for me, I had a feeling I was told incorrectly, a shame as it means I need to sort something out now at more expensive. I did purchase the pannier clear film from nippy Norman’s but haven’t had the nerve to try and apply it yet…

As for tank protection I’ve been looking for ages now, I found a pair of rubbatech side rubbers for £60 but that seems expensive.

I have put pannier protection on the top of the panniers to stop scuffing. But that is it and after 8k and 3 years I have had no issues. Was the same on my 2014 after 50k, no issues. But its like insurance :) My 1250 was the first bike I have ever put engine bars on, and thought why did I bother. A couple of weeks ago, I dropped it. Not a mark on the bike, just scuffed bars, which I have rubbed down and painted now. So that was worth it for me.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Casbar wrote:
I have put pannier protection on the top of the panniers to stop scuffing. But that is it and after 8k and 3 years I have had no issues. Was the same on my 2014 after 50k, no issues. But its like insurance :) My 1250 was the first bike I have ever put engine bars on, and thought why did I bother. A couple of weeks ago, I dropped it. Not a mark on the bike, just scuffed bars, which I have rubbed down and painted now. So that was worth it for me.

Thanks for the reply, I must get the courage to apply the pannier film now!, I’ve watched that video several times 😂, I’ve fitted the machine art x heads in the hope they protect the engine if I drop it at a standstill. Hopefully I never test them out!.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Head protection will protect the engine, but it won't do anything for there plastics, which are very expensive. But again insurance policy, never dropped my 2014 in 6 years, never dropped my 1250 until a couple of weeks ago :)
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Casbar wrote: Head protection will protect the engine, but it won't do anything for there plastics, which are very expensive. But again insurance policy, never dropped my 2014 in 6 years, never dropped my 1250 until a couple of weeks ago :)

What bars did you fit, and was there a specific reason for that make? I’m leaning (sorry 🤣) to the Ilium bars despite the price.

Just bought NN’s pannier lid protectors for the occasional boot scuffs, soapy water and hair drier to hand!
Last edited by Steve398 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Steve398 wrote:
What bars did you fit, and was there a specific reason for that make? I’m leaning (sorry 🤣) to the Ilium bars despite the price.

Just bought NN’s pannier lid protectors for the occasional boot scuffs, soapy water and hair drier to hand!

I’ll let you fit your protection film first Steve 😂
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve398 wrote:

I fitted illium. I have fitted about 5 sets of these now and they all fit with no issues. Reasons, don’t need to be removed for valve checks. Rears are easily removable, I often don’t have my bags on and I take them off to free up space in my garage. Also my wife is small so the lower rears do not touch her calves. You can mix and match with other makes. They also work. But if your a really aggressive carver, I have read some have got them to touch down. I haven’t. Sportouring is the uk distributor, Mike who owns the business is a good guy to deal with as well. Downside expensive.
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

I fitted the Wunderlich engine protector bars. Breeze to fit and work as bodywork replacement insurance (In case of a drop).