I'm a novice tourer - what are your trip planning tips for distance/stopovers?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
potatan

I'm a novice tourer - what are your trip planning tips for distance/stopovers?

Post by potatan »

I'm contemplating a solo trip to ride around Scotland for a week or so next month (June). I've never really toured before other than a few days in Ireland stopping over with friends.

I'll be travelling alone so don't really need to consider anyone else's needs. What are your thoughts on distance / travel times per day? I'm not after any endurance awards, nor will I be trying to go over any mountain pass goat track, just a trip around some of the nice roads with stops for lunch and B&B / Hotels overnight.

I'm unsure how best to plan a route around the scenic routes so that

a) I don't have to push myself to reach the next destination,
or
b) I arrive at the next stop far too early
or
c) I end up starving miles away from civilisation / sandwiches

Would you recommend booking accommodations in advance?

Any other logistics tips for a novice solo tourer?

TIA
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: I'm a novice tourer - what are your trip planning tips for distance/stopovers?

Post by David and Sally »

Wow, what a question.

Don't overestimate your mileage a day. Some riders will do hundreds. Some like a more docile day. In Scotland 100 a day would be a good target.

Don't drive past places to see just to make up the miles.

You may need to book accommodation. I use booking.com so cancellations are possible.

Enjoy the scenery. In my opinion the West coast and North coast are the best. Stunning.

There are plenty of sandwich stops. Just take a few bits with you just in case.

More likely you will need to plan fuel stops.

Enjoy your trip. You will meet bikers on the way and have a great time.
Last edited by David and Sally on Sun May 01, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potatan

Re: I'm a novice tourer - what are your trip planning tips for distance/stopovers?

Post by potatan »

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm autistic and thus tend to be a bit too details-focused sometimes, but I'm definitely using this first trip as a learning exercise so I will understand myself and my bike better for future trips.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A copy of the book, The Motorcyclist's Guide To Scotland might be useful, Buy the Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland — Tarmap Press

Have a look at this thread for comments from folks who have a copy and have used it, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Last edited by David. on Sun May 01, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Do a search on the Scottish NC 500 for motorcycles. I did the NC500 a few years back. I did the route backward east to north. Loads on NC 500 on youtube with some good advice on where to stay. There is too many B&B/ pubs to list for overnight stops. One week is too short to see everything unless you rush about but that's not a holiday for me. Have fun
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
potatan

Post by potatan »

David. wrote: A copy of the book, The Motorcyclist's Guide To Scotland might be useful, Buy the Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland — Tarmap Press

Thanks, that looks really great and will probably answer a lot of my questions! I've ordered a copy
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Have a look at this. It's in 9 parts.
https://youtu.be/-8xIA71Km1k
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

When I'm away on my own I book the first and sometimes the second night accomodation before I set off. After that I book accommodation as I go along, planning the next days route and researching hotels gives me something to do in the evenings.
Booking.com and hotels.com are useful but I have found that if I search for the hotels on the website/app and then ring them directly they may offer a better rate. Can be enough to pay for an evening meal.

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

MikeS wrote: Booking.com and hotels.com are useful but I have found that if I search for the hotels on the website/app and then ring them directly they may offer a better rate. Can be enough to pay for an evening meal.

Especially as Booking.com charge up to 20% of the stay as commission.
potatan

Post by potatan »

MikeS wrote: When I'm away on my own I book the first and sometimes the second night accomodation before I set off. After that I book accommodation as I go along, planning the next days route and researching hotels gives me something to do in the evenings.

Great tip, thanks MikeS
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Word of advice. Do not go on school holiday times. A week or two is best as the B&B are cheaper and the roads aint stuffed full of caravans
BobM

Post by BobM »

Hi,
    Despite having toured in Scotland loads of times I thought I`d take a punt on the book which David suggested. What a useful little purchase. Thanks David.