General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Wunderlich. Where are their parts made?

Post by Doctor T »

Does anyone know exactly where Wunderlich parts are made(country)?.
Last month I bought a set of front and rear crash bars from a China seller on eBay for over half the price if I bought directly from Wunderlich. Ok, the destructions were only in German. The paperwork was basically the Wunderlich instructions on their site but with the Wunderlich, name blanked out. At the bottom of these instructions, there is Wunderlich's name and address. As the quality of the bars is high and compared to another RT i saw parked at a cafe you can't see any difference. The owner of the bike confirmed they were indeed from Wunderlich. So i class mine as Wunderlist bars even the bolts and fixings are the same.

Now I've just bought a GPS mount from the same seller for £36.00. They were asking for a buy now of £71.00 but my best offer was accepted Looking at the pictures again these are from the Wunderlich site. Comparing the munt to the "W" site it's the same item.
So where are Wunderlich parts really made, China?
If you are interested in the part the eBay UK item number is [size=0.875rem]144440484274.[/font][/size]
Attachments
s-l1600.png
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Last edited by Doctor T on Sat May 07, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Wunderlich. Where are their parts made?

Post by sakm »

I bought a cockpit bag for mine for £23 delivered to my door also that wunderlich sell but theirs is £70 ish

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/topic/39852-bmw-r1200rt-cockpit-bag
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I found the same whilst buying for my Himalayan. I bought a few farkels from China that were exactly the same parts as those being sold by a well known shop over here in the UK but at 3 times the price. It gets me how some shops can say the item is designed by them and made to their specifications when it's just come from a normal Chinese production line making bits for every and anyone. I've always found apart from cheap plastic parts, most Chinese farkels are well made and are very good copies or are the genuine part. Am talking about farkels only and not mechanical bits. You just have to do your research before buying.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

It would be interesting to hear what "extra" charges are levied on delivery of goods from China such as Customs Duty and VAT.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Our Gee wrote: It would be interesting to hear what "extra" charges are levied on delivery of goods from China such as Customs Duty and VAT.
In my experience none. I’ve ordered two bike DVRs from Ali Express and both delivered as though they were sent from the UK with no extra charges. Obviously delivery time takes longer though!
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Our Gee wrote: It would be interesting to hear what "extra" charges are levied on delivery of goods from China such as Customs Duty and VAT.
Anything under £135 incurs no import charges from anywhere on the globe,go above that then you will start to pay import duty and fees. I know because i was uneducated and got stung on my Arrow system from Italy for my RT.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

That’s nice to know. A while back I ordered a Screen for a Triumph Sprint GT from Australia and the “Extra” charges which had to be paid to Royal Mail before delivery would be made where substantial.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I was not charged any import or VAT. I was expecting to pay and worked out the duty would be around £56.00 but the seller put the value of my order at only £50.00. Perhaps this is what the items cost to make.
The only time ive paid import duties was when i bought some Guitar pickups that were not available outside the USA. That was something like £35 i paid the Post Office local sorting center. Now i believe the Royal mail email 3 day before the will deliver and you have to pay online.

Back to the bars. I've emailed the seller regarding if the bars are the same or are as Wunderlich. The Seller in Chinglish says that they manufacture many items for large companies worldwide and can not confirm or deny that they are Wunderlich as it would conflict with they contract. So what do you gain from that?.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

If you buy from Loius-Moto, they guarantee that you will not pay customs/duty charges, they are included in their prices. My V-stream screen did not incur any extra charges.
Sooty57

Post by Sooty57 »

I have Wunderlich crashers on my R1250RT and have to say that the quality of the chrome plating is absolutely appalling for the price charged. They were fitted from new, and the bike has now done just over 6,000 miles. ACF50 every year, even though it is not ridden in the winter. After just one winter the chrome on one of the bars is badly pitted, and rust showing on all of the welds. Keep an eye on this if you have them.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

Sooty57 wrote: I have Wunderlich crashers on my R1250RT and have to say that the quality of the chrome plating is absolutely appalling for the price charged. They were fitted from new, and the bike has now done just over 6,000 miles. ACF50 every year, even though it is not ridden in the winter. After just one winter the chrome on one of the bars is badly pitted, and rust showing on all of the welds. Keep an eye on this if you have them.

Thanks for the tip. I have them ::) ::)
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

One reason i went with silver painted bars. A quick rub down and spray with Alloy wheel paint. Looks new again.
Last edited by Doctor T on Wed May 11, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.