Ilium crash bars

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Ilium crash bars

Post by Larry in ok »

Just finished installing front and rear crash bars and aux light brackets from Ilium Works on my new '22 RT.

My opinion is that they appear to be a well made piece of gear. The included printed instructions were barely adequate but they included the advice to view their youtube install videos which are a BIG help with the install. My only minor complaint is with the aux light brackets. They are definitley a bit on the fiddley side to get mounted. Other than that they appear to be well made and solid.

Shipping time wasnt too bad and they updated me about a minor production delay and again when the items shipped.
Didnt get to ride with them yet but if i have any issues I'll update.
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Ilium crash bars

Post by Casbar »

Engineering top marks. Finish not so good. Now changing 3 full sets due to corrosion, one set has only been on a bike for 6 months. Silver seem to be worse, my black ones on my own bike are still good after 3 years. I have also had issues with a side stand footprint. Engineering good, paint finish rubbish, after two years, paint peeled off the top and corrosion all over. Have now stripped down and sprayed with Hamerite and it looks to be standing up well. UK based
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

Are in a coastal/salt air environment?
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Larry in ok wrote: Are in a coastal/salt air environment?

Nope :) Just down to rubbish coating, apparently Illium had changed their coating suppliers. 3 sets of bars, none of them over 2 years old, one set which I changed today, were only 6 months old. Bikes all kept in garages, the bike I changed the bars on today, has only done around 3k miles. The UK supplier has been outstanding with sorting. Illium not so much. Like I said my own black bars are fine after 10k miles and 3 years, so looks like an issue with the silver ones, although my black side stand enlarger, the paint peeled off.

One of our bikes is a 2014 RTp with bars, after 56k miles not a mark of them, go figure :)
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

Wonder if California environmental regulations made them change their processes.
Not trying to be political, just that some of the chemical processes that used to work really well also relied on some potentially seriously nasty compounds.