General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Helmet intercom system

Post by Doctor T »

After 5 years my Chinese intercom refuses to charge now. Apart from this, it has been brilliant and only cost £24. Am not on the lookout for a new system. I don't need one that can link 6/8 riders because i only ride alone. Some on the market seem to have small buttons which i guess would be impossible for me with a glove on. Just looking for one that can voice dial and doesn't drop calls.
What are you using and is it any good? Can you get replacement batteries and holders for the unit?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Re: Helmet intercom system

Post by Glenn »

I'm looking for an intercom too, the Fodsports M1-plus looks good for the price.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Interphone sport.big buttons battery holds charge for couple days even after 5 years. Waterproof completely.
Speakers ok phone no problems music ok. Easy to order spare parts. Unit large but fits on neotec.happy with it.
Did upgrade speakers. Interphone do newer model now. Is a pain to get music to work with nav5 but once going no problems.
Last edited by BoB21 on Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Consider a Sena SMH10. It’s one of their basic units and is fairly inexpensive (<$175 US). It allows you to connect to your cell phone wirelessly for hands-free calling, plus you can listen to music on your phone if you’re so inclined, all with voice commands or by using the large jog wheel and buttons. Its intercom features are fairly basic and runs on Bluetooth 3.1, hence the lower cost. Comes with microphone, helmet speakers, rechargeable battery, and a charger.

Last edited by emlevy on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've looked at Sena and cardo which i can get for around £100 but as i use 2 different helmets(full face in winter and jet style in summer) and buying another mounting kit is around £65. So it works out expense.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

BoB21 wrote: Interphone sport.big buttons battery holds charge for couple days even after 5 years. Waterproof completely.
Speakers ok phone no problems music ok. Easy to order spare parts. Unit large but fits on neotec.happy with it.
Did upgrade speakers. Interphone do newer model now. Is a pain to get music to work with nav5 but once going no problems.

Ive got one of these:
[size=2px]https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/450918[/size]
[size=2px]Bought as a twin pack with a friend so saved a bit of money. Works perfectly and not overly complicated.[/size]
Bought a spare headset and mount kit for a second helmet - 30 quid.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thank you all for your input. Visited 5 shops today to see what was available. After a lot of umming and ahhing, I've gone with a Cardo Freedom 4 plus. The kit that comes with it makes it able to fit 2 helmets without buying any extras. I also got a great discount well under the RRP.
What drew me to it was i can control the unit by voice and forget about touching the unit and automatic volume increase and vice versa. So when am riding fast the volume goes up and while stopping the volume decreases. This kit comes with 2 sets of speakers, the larger ones are made by JBL. The JBL speakers are excellent with loads of bass and are also very clear. Another plus it comes with a 2-year warranty. The salesman said anytime within the 2 years if the unit has a fault, they will replace it FOC without quibble. Got the manager to write this on my receipt. I've Heard this on Cardo videos too.&nbsp;
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

+1 on the Cardo.&nbsp; Good units and they stand behind them.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

We had a set of old Cardo Scala Riders we got back in 2011. Pretty basic but worked good, we really enjoyed being able to have a conversation with out yelling back and forth at each other. Wouldn't really want to ride two-up with out an intercom.&nbsp; When I bought the RT last month I dug them out of the closet and charged them up. They still work but I'd be pretty skeptical on battery life with them being so old. There is so little functionality compared to the newer offerings that I popped for a set of Cardo Systems Freecom 4X units for the Mrs. and I. My wife hasn't had a chance to ride with me yet but I've used them on 4-5 rides and they seem to work exactly as advertised. No issues with connectivity so far and the audio is decent enough for my tin ears in my open face helmet. I've got a new modular helmet inbound and I'm looking forward to trying them out in that.[size=24px !important]&nbsp;
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.