Twist Protection Blocks (What are these for ?)

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Twist Protection Blocks (What are these for ?)

Post by Our Gee »

During a recent Valve check on my 2011 Twin Cam I noticed that when removing the Nearside Valve Cover a Rubber "Block" had become dislodged and dropped to the ground. Checking the opposite side Cylinder I could verify the position where the "displaced" block should fit and this was duly replaced.
My query is. does anyone know just what the intended purpose of this component is.
In the Parts Fiche this component is call "Twist Protection Left and Twist Protection Right. Part Numbers 05 11 12 7 710 489 / 490.
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Twist Protection Blocks (What are these for ?)

Post by David. »

Found the same question on BMWMOA, Twist protection? Rubber blocks in cylinder head (bmwmoa.org) no answers!

The Haynes manual describes them as support blocks. They fit beneath the lower cam follower pivot points. Perhaps there is some potential for the casting to twist during valve operation. Having said that, the upper pivot points look the same and are not supported. I wonder if the direction of rotation of the cam chain has anything to do with it.

Last edited by David. on Tue May 24, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.