General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Off to France. GB or UK?

Post by Doctor T »

Am off to France next week and think ive heard that since we left the E.U that the white with black GB oval stickers are now not recognised. It seems i need to buy a UK sticker. Does anyone know the minimum size i can get away with? Or is it standard size across the board with cars and bikes?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Re: Off to France. GB or UK?

Post by yorkie »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284445140313
I got these, they are 52mm x 22mm.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

They are not recognised by the E.U anymore. What ive just read is it has to be an oval white background and block black letters but no mention of legal size for an MC. I think( know) the EU is pi## off and making it hard for us English to ride in their country legally.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

uk motorcycle number plate stickers

If on a bike, that is all you need.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Doctor T wrote: They are not recognised by the E.U anymore. What ive just read is it has to be an oval white background and block black letters but no mention of legal size for an MC. I think( know) the EU is pi## off and making it hard for us English to ride in their country legally.

They were fine last week, but things do change quickly :)
yorkie
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Casbar wrote:
They were fine last week, but things do change quickly :)
Hahaha,Ditto that, I got pulled over last year, purely a random check in the middle of the countryside. All they did was look at the rear number plate, with these UK stickers attached, and waved me on, no issues whatsoever.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote:Off to France next week, I need to buy a UK sticker. Does anyone know the minimum size.
UK Stickers & UK Number Plate Stickers | Drive-France.com

In France, it looks like the small number plate stickers are legal.

More discussion on the subject here, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Last edited by David. on Sun May 29, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

So reading more about the subject i have found more information. Number plate stickers are fine in France but in places like Spain, Malta, Cyprus, and Italy require a full sized UK sticker no matter the size of the vehicle. 18cm wide by 13.3cm tall. So as am also off to Spain and Portugal later this year, i will just buy a couple of legal UK stickers.
Why the change from GB to the UK, anyone knows?. I have a pack of smaller GB stickers in the garage that I've used over the years.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

Doctor T wrote: So reading more about the subject i have found more information. Number plate stickers are fine in France but in places like Spain, Malta, Cyprus, and Italy require a full sized UK sticker no matter the size of the vehicle. 18cm wide by 13.3cm tall. So as am also off to Spain and Portugal later this year, i will just buy a couple of legal UK stickers.
Why the change from GB to the UK, anyone knows?. I have a pack of smaller GB stickers in the garage that I've used over the years.
Because NI is not part of GB. It is part of UK. It's a post-Brexit thing.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Would have thought NI would be allowed their own badge as their registrations are totally different from the mainland. More discrimination by the EU
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

I see what you are saying but all of the UK is covered by the UK plate.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’m off to the Dolomites next week for a motorbike rally with Italian police officers, I’ve only got the uk sticker on my number plate. I’ll let you know how I get on  ;)
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

Doctor T wrote: Am off to France next week and think ive heard that since we left the E.U that the white with black GB oval stickers are now not recognised. It seems i need to buy a UK sticker. Does anyone know the minimum size i can get away with? Or is it standard size across the board with cars and bikes?

I replaced the number plate instead of stickers. Now with Union Jack and UK. £1000 fine and MOT fail if still using GB.
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

Doctor T wrote: They are not recognised by the E.U anymore. What ive just read is it has to be an oval white background and block black letters but no mention of legal size for an MC. I think( know) the EU is pi## off and making it hard for us English to ride in their country legally.

Actually, it was the British government decided that the country code should change from GB to UK. Eu was happy with whatever. UK gov. Decided to change and will fine you £1000 if you don’t change by 31st March 2022. My car has new stickers and the bike has a new number plate. Eu does not allow EU flag on the bike. GB government doesn’t allow it either. ‘Welcome to the Brexit, sir.’
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I did 12 countries in Europe in May with this on the number plate and no problems at all 👍
Attachments
0A6450A6-0BE0-4710-A823-C98EB001DE1F.png