General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 240 times
Isle of Wight

Touring France - Card or cash?

Post by Steve398 »

We’re off for a couple of weeks in France shortly. In previous years on our travels we’ve taken a stock of cash along with our cards for coffees/cakes and the like, whilst using the cards for fuel and accommodation, although some of the smaller B&B’s prefer cash.

So, with the move across to cashless payment here in the UK my question is -  has France taken the same direction, and is there any point in carrying much paper money on this trip?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Touring France - Card or cash?

Post by Our Gee »

Yes.
I would say that you have summed it up pretty accurately and that what you have found in previous trips will still apply.

The French are very traditional. Many times we have waited patiently in the supermarket queue whilst the lady in front carefully writes out her cheque. (Remember those !!). Cash is good.

Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Am off from the Newhaven ferry tomorrow morning. This will make it the 85 trip that I've ridden through France. Taken me 40 years to rack them up. Plus about 10 trips in a car/van.
I always take about 200 euros in cash and then i also use a pre-paid credit card. Why a pre-pay i here ask. Well, there is no commission charge and no charge when using it for foreign monies. I have my normal bank CC with me just in case.
Many French 23 hr fuels stations are off the main roads and mainly unattended. The pumps will not accept Debit cards. They only accept Credit cards.
Tolls take both cards and cash.
I took a trip around Northern France earlier this year and found more than usual cards were excepted. The usual attractions that well all like to visit were cards where before they took anything.
A quick chat with another member of this site regarding fuel prices in France. Using the exchange rate they are paying only about 2 to 3p less than us at the moment.
Hope you have a great trip.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

In 2011, my first night on the road I found that you had to have a chipped credit card to pay in unattended petrol stations.  I'm from California, the land of tech, and we seemed the last country in the world to adopt the chip!  Had to hand some cash to an eventual patron and ask him to use my card.  Spent the night, hungry, in a barley field near Omaha Beach since everything closed about 22.00.  Whatta night.

Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I just returned from 3 weeks in France and we paid for almost everything with a credit or debit card.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I took cash, but paid for fuel and restaurants with cards. There wasn't a lot of places that did tap payment though, most wanted a pin etc and didn't even try apple pay :)
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Just back from solo trip of a week in Normandy, took 250 Euros and cards, used up all the cash, prefer cash for day to day in Europe, call me old fashioned  :-)
East Anglia (Fenland)