Kill switch

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Maz12

Kill switch

Post by Maz12 »

anyone else had the recall notice regarding the sticking kill switch ?
chrisvh

Re: Kill switch

Post by chrisvh »

Mine was delivered in April with a sticking switch. Replaced at 600 mile service.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

How long ago was that?  I've just got my letter today
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I picked mine up in April. Kill switch and ignition switch were US. No problem with replacement.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: How long ago was that?  I've just got my letter today
Thats odd.  Asked my dealer this afternoon and they have no record of a switch recall.  Who was the  letter from. Recall ones come directly from BMW.  Thousands of switches have been replaced over the last 2 or 3 years but only when they fail, never under any recall programme 
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

Mine wasn't a recall. Just a duffer from the delivery.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Dear Customer

I am writing to inform you that your BMW motorcycle has an outstanding recall
Within the framework of quality monitoring. BMW has ascertained that when latched, the rocker switch in the right multifunction switch assembly can stick in the EMERGENCY OFF position.
If this happens considerable pressure subsequently has to be applied to operate the starter button, in rare cases it can mean it is not possible to start the engine.
Right multifunction switches of improved design will be fitted to your bike to rectify this issue.

It then goes on to say,  contact the service dept to arrange to have the work done free of charge and it takes about 30 mins.
This was from my dealer
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very interesting letter.  I have had the stiff (solid) switch syndrome on a 1600 as have many others. They are always replaced without question under warranty no matter how old the bike. I think your dealer has reacted to the technical bulletin put out by BMW.  Good  on them 
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Alan Jefferies are my dealer and are first class...  Always been fair with me
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just seen the technical bulletin from BMW.  It points out that all twin cylinder bikes with the one switch indicator system (that's 2010 models onwards) could have a defective right hand multi switch where the  starter rocker switch can go very stiff. It effects all bikes manufactured before 6 May 2014. Dealers have been told to replace the complete switch if it fails or at the bikes next service.   
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As a precaution, have given the kill switch a squirt of ACF-50 & checked the rocker action.

Had a problem with the windscreen control on the LHS switch. The bike had been outside overnight in the rain & I guess some water may have got into the switch.
The screen had a mind of it's own & would drive down without touching the switch. Gave the switch a squirt of ACF-50 & had no further problems.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

Every time I wash mine I try to remember to give each set of switches a liberal squirt of WD40.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure the odd squirt wont do the switches any harm but I suspects wont help either. When the starter switch goes it just suddenly goes as part of the rocker mechanism breaks and the only cure is a new one. I have had 2 go, both on 1600s.  The first was the kill bit that although it hadn't been touched disable the bike. The only cure was a trip in the back of a  van to the dealers. The second was the more normal near solid starter switch on a 2 month old bike.  This doesn't normally strand you in the middle of nowhere, just gives you a sore thumb.     
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on the BMW LT site, "Bypass Bad Or Defective Start Switch".

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/7 ... witch.html
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Found this thread on the BMW LT site, "Bypass Bad Or Defective Start Switch".

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/7 ... witch.html
Wonder why he didn't just bump start it.