Rear LED Brake light

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Ch00

Rear LED Brake light

Post by Ch00 »

I am looking in to options of adding a extra stop/tail light on the back of the bike.

I see in the USA they have a purpose built system that plugs into the canbus system bu the lead is not long enough for us to use as we have bigger number plates.

Has anyone done it on their bike?
guest2360

Re: Rear LED Brake light

Post by guest2360 »

The only extra brake light I know of is the BMW one designed to go on the top box.  There are various option on the k1600 forum that would got on the RT as the electrics/top box are the same. Whatever you fit remember you could  easily end up with error messages on the dash.
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

I am still looking into this......

The easy option is to do nothing!!!

The other option is to buy these [size=78%]http://www.zenoverland.com/led_lights/skene-designs-p3-rear-led-lights.html[/size] an American product which the flashing part can be turned off designed to work on canbus systems. At £100 not cheap but according to the videos and reviews well made and very bright and built to last.

The final option is trying to find either some LEDs that work on 4 volts and will get brighter on 12 volts or another product designed for the job.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just remember the RT LC is not Canbus but Linbus and might react differently to non BMW bits being plugged in. The proper brake light is a high quality item that takes 10 minutes to fit and costs not much more than some of the aftermarket kit.
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

I have the RT MU its a 2010 model.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ch00 wrote: I have the RT MU its a 2010 model.
Definitely no BMW brake light for them. 
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

I have fitted the extra lights from the above link.

Normal

Brake light on

Video

Taken with my phone so poor quality I am afraid.