Help! Cannot unlock seat on 2018 1200RT.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Maddog1929

Help! Cannot unlock seat on 2018 1200RT.

Post by Maddog1929 »

I recently purchased a used rear seat for my bike and I installed it without realizing that the lock cylinder on it would be different and not match my current key. Now I cannot remove the seat. Is there any alternative release to remove the seat or am I stuck like this?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Help! Cannot unlock seat on 2018 1200RT.

Post by jackronner »

Unless it is radically different from the first generation 1200RT, the lock is independent from the seat, located just above the license plate. It may just be that the new seat fits more tightly than the stock seat, inhibiting the release mechanism. Have you tried turning the key with some force and simultaneously striking downward with your fist over the attachment area on the rear portion of the seat, or even have someone sit on it and repeatedly bounce on it as you apply pressure with the key?  If that works, I'd recommend that you grease the catch and bar on the bottom of your seat so that it works more easily. I bought a low seat myself and found that it was much more difficult to turn the key than it was with the stock seat, hence my above suggestions from personal experience! Good luck.
Last edited by jackronner on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Maddog1929 wrote: I recently purchased a used rear seat for my bike and I installed it without realizing that the lock cylinder on it would be different and not match my current key. Now I cannot remove the seat. Is there any alternative release to remove the seat or am I stuck like this?
If you don't have the key then drill the lock out(should be easy enough)then replace the cylinder with the one from your old seat.Should be eay enough to do.Should be a video somewhere on YouTube with a how to.Good luck.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

jackronner wrote: Unless it is radically different from the first generation 1200RT, the lock is independent from the seat, located just above the license plate.

Its built in to the rear seat on the 2014+

I suspect the only way will be to drill it or try and get something between the seats to unhook the latch although I'm not sure if you would get anything in!

I will check on mine shortly and see if there is a way in
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Here is a top view of the seat and looking at it there is a a guard to stop you opening it from the top
[attach=1]

But if you go in from the side under the seat with a long screwdriver or something you may be able to push the catch back
[attach=2]
Attachments
20220709_103528.jpg
20220709_103450.jpg
Maddog1929

Post by Maddog1929 »

sakm wrote: Here is a top view of the seat and looking at it there is a a guard to stop you opening it from the top
[attach=1]

But if you go in from the side under the seat with a long screwdriver or something you may be able to push the catch back
[attach=2]
I had to go in from the top instead of the side but I did eventually manage to trip the latch to release the seat. Thanks!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

A bit late as I see you got the seat off. I found myself in somewhat the same predicament with some panniers that I had been given. I got a lock pick set off Amazon and watched enough YouTube videos to learn how to pick locks. The cylinder lock on a BMW might be a little better than what I had, but there are very few locks that cannot be picked with some practice and patience.
Learning to pick locks was a fun exercise and another tool that comes in handy occasionally.
Cue the comments about a new b&e vocation😁
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.