Exhaust flapper valve does not cycle at ignition ON.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Exhaust flapper valve does not cycle at ignition ON.

Post by Toaster »

Hi Guys,

I recently had the headers and flapper valve replaced under warranty for my 2019 R1250RT, as the valve had seized and was generating fault codes.

Using a GS 911 yesterday, I note there are no fault codes showing but the flapper valve does not cycle when the ignition is turned on (as it previously did prior to the header replacement). It is in the fully open position.

The existing Flapper appears to be free to move, although I've not disconnected the cables to it from the servo drive to test for free movement.

I'm wondering if there has been a change to the software which prevents a test of the flapper valve at ignition on, or do I have another fault....any thoughts??

Cheers

David
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust flapper valve does not cycle at ignition ON.

Post by Casbar »

Yes there has been a software update. The valve only moves now, once the engine is running
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Gavj wrote:Service guy said that the self test routine for the exhaust valve now only happens every 30th start.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Why not use the GS-911 to perform a service function on the valve and watch it to see if it all moves freely?

Better still remove the cables and the controller and replace it with one of these https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If its not working you will have an orange engine warning light on the dash, which is on permanently. Unlike the 1200s, where there would be a fault code on the ecu, but you would need a GS911 to see the code. I've had two sets of headers on my 1250
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

" I've had two sets of headers on my 1250"[/font][/size]
I had mine replaced last month at 8k miles, my mate is waiting to get his in for the same.... 2021 model with <1500 miles... when will BMW find a fix for this, must be costing them a fortune.
Last edited by Gavj on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had two sets on my 2014, on our fleet bikes, we have had 4 sets on a 19, 20, and 21 bike between them. My mate had a set of his 19 bike and another went in last week for a set on his late 21 bike. Plus side, saves cleaning the headers&nbsp; 8)
GvG

Post by GvG »

What is exactly wrong with the exhaust flapper when you get an orange engine warning light?

My '20 R1250RT (12500km) made a strange noise out of the exhaustmuffler last week, as if a pair of marbles where in the muffler, so I suspected the exhaust flapper was loose or something, but when I restarted the bike again the sound was gone and since then I didn't hear it again. No fault code on my GS-911 and no orange warning light however.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

I was told that mine had probably seized, apparently the heat removes any lubricant applied during the build.....
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Gavj wrote: I was told that mine had probably seized, apparently the heat removes any lubricant applied during the build.....

Never seen any lubricant on the inside even when new. The spindle just swivels in two cups, not even bearings. It is all about heat and moisture and general carbon in the exhaust, when it cools it seizes. Even if you do lubricate with high temp grease, if your unlucky it still seizes. It also doesn't seem to be impacted by use or mileage. My first one lasted nearly a year, one of our 21 bikes has lasted 6 months and has only covered 3k.
Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

sakm wrote: Why not use the GS-911 to perform a service function on the valve and watch it to see if it all moves freely?

Better still remove the cables and the controller and replace it with one of these https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese

Hi Sakm, I'm not sure that it is possible to run a test on the flapper valve using the GS 911 - but you will see fault codes if it is not working. If this is possible to do could you kindly explain the steps and I'll check it out.

Cheers

David
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Toaster wrote:

Hi Sakm, I'm not sure that it is possible to run a test on the flapper valve using the GS 911 - but you will see fault codes if it is not working. If this is possible to do could you kindly explain the steps and I'll check it out.

Cheers

David

It is I have done it myself on my bike when I was having issues.

It's under the service function options in the relevant section

Possibly under engine!

I would have to plug in again and check to be sure
Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

sakm wrote:
It is I have done it myself on my bike when I was having issues.

It's under the service function options in the relevant section

Possibly under engine!

Many thanks Sakm.....I will check it out .....thanks...&nbsp;

I would have to plug in again and check to be sure
GuyRT

Post by GuyRT »

sakm wrote: Why not use the GS-911 to perform a service function on the valve and watch it to see if it all moves freely?

I'm not sure if it's even necessary to fit a Healtech.

As far as I can see if you were to disconnect the cables from the exhaust valve and leave them free so that the solenoid still moves them, the bike has no way of knowing whether the valve flap is moving or not.

There are no sensors after the valve or attached to the valve itself.

I suspect the bike only throws a code when there's an excess current load caused by the solenoid where the valve is sticking?

The exhaust valve flap should spring open by default and so long as it can be moved into the open position with the cables disconnected it should stay there.

I suspect the bike will then run fine without throwing any codes.

I'll find out for sure if this is actually the case once my bike is out of warranty, the first time the valve sticks because this will be my first move!
Last edited by GuyRT on Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

GuyRT wrote:
I'm not sure if it's even necessary to fit a Healtech.

As far as I can see if you were to disconnect the cables from the exhaust valve and leave them free so that the solenoid still moves them, the bike has no way of knowing whether the valve flap is moving or not.

There are no sensors after the valve or attached to the valve itself.

I suspect the bike only throws a code when there's an excess current load caused by the solenoid where the valve is sticking?

The exhaust valve flap should spring open by default and so long as it can be moved into the open position with the cables disconnected it should stay there.

I suspect the bike will then run fine without throwing any codes.

I'll find out for sure if this is actually the case once my bike is out of warranty, the first time the valve sticks because this will be my first move!

This is true but I have seen plenty of stories of the motor failing too so I just did away with the lot

You can of course just remove the cables and in the future if the motor packs in then get the exhaust valve eliminator