General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Back from France

Post by Doctor T »

Well, am back from my tour of France. Covered just over 2000 miles. The fuel was only about 2 pence per ltr cheaper than we pay in the UK. Found some really nice small family B&B. I mostly stayed around Provence in the South with a trip to Spain. For about 3 days it was about 40F. With the full fairing, it was uncomfortable even on the motorways, so i removed the screen which made it better but it was still hot in slow-moving town traffic.
The old girl ran perfectly averaging 59 to the gallon. No oil was used. The added weight of a million creatures squashed on the front gave me a good insight into some strange-looking animals. At the moment am planning the longer August tour.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Back from France

Post by Steve398 »

Welcome back... We returned a few days ago from an 11 day tour. Gotta agree about the heat, it was showing 41C on the bike but you can add on another 4c without the airflow, the galling thing for me was that I'd bought a Coolvest a couple of weeks before and forgot to take it.  :thinking: 

A couple of things came to mind, having not toured France since before Covid, there seemed a lot less cafes and Tabacs along the villages, and far fewer petrol stations (despite Tomtom telling me different)... don't know if you found that?

However we had a great time over our 2000 mile trip, and the deserted roads made riding a real pleasure.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Have to agree little local cafes and Tabacs seem to be less since Covid. I did have some misses with village fuel stations that were no way to be seen.
I have a Oxford summer mesh jacket and ended up wearing nothing under it.
Just watched Henry Cole's Baltic tour. Looks like a good trip, so maybe doing that in August. It all depends if Putin starts WW111
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

It would be investing to hear where abouts in Provence you stayed. That part of France has been our regular Bolt Hole for a number of years now. We stayed in The Drome area around Nyons, great food and wine and a lot cheaper than down on the coast. Happy days in La Belle France.
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

Interesting that the front of the bike was covered in bugs. I did 50 miles to Bristol and back last week. No bugs on the screen. Not one. Where have all the insects gone in the UK? Did the leave to go back to Europe after Brexit?
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

So bad even bugs don't holiday in Bristol
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Come on Doctor T, it's been a while now, what about an answer to Reply No 3 or where your Stopovers in Provence classified ! !.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I'll look through my receipts tonight. Some i remember as ive been to them before but others were new to me.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

For OUR GEE
He is 4 places i stayed around Provance. Some are very basic but are a lot cheaper than in Nice area. Most were surrounded by woodland and a couple had a swimming pool. Prices are for 1 person in a single room. In 3 i ended up in a master suite due to being out of season. All the owners speak little to good English. That was no problem with me as I am dual nationality, English/French.

THE PROVENCAL SHED. Le Cannet-des-Maures, Var, France. £53 per night.
Le Clos Des Médiévales.Quartier Clos, 83340 Le Thoronet  £51 PN
Le Relais de l'Artuby.9154 route Napoleon, Le Logis du Pin, 06750 Séranon. £31 PN
Chalet sur Pilotis Ane'ita de l'Arbenquens. 66 Route d'Allos, 04170 La Mure. £51 PN
Prices may go up in summer season,
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the info Dr. T. The area of Provence you stayed in would be new to me although we have stayed in Antibes a few years ago. About 20 years ago we discovered The Drome, an area roughly East of Montelimar and North of Mount Ventoux (The Old Man of Provence). We went on to stay with an English Couple over 30 times just outside of the Market Town of Nyons. For us this place was heaven. Peaceful and Beautiful and really good value compared to further down South towards the coast. Really good biking roads lead to such famous wine villages such as Gigondas, Vacqueyras, Rasteau, Vinsorbes and Cairanne. The ride up to the summit of Mount Ventoux (A regular stage on le tour) is not to be missed with spectacular views over a vast area. The D94 / D994 from Nyons to Serres is a cracker, although Sundays are best avoided due to the local Rossi "wanabees".
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I did do the whole of the tour de France route many years ago, only because i watched on Sky TV and the route looked beautiful. No hotels booked on the route. I just looked when i had, had it for the day. Stayed in pub hotels along the trip. I always go out of season as there is less traffic and B&B is cheaper.
There are dickheads "Rossi" or for my age Barry Sheen every time you hit a winding road. I just wave them on and catch up with them at the next service area.