Reducing clutch lever pull force

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Reducing clutch lever pull force

Post by jackronner »

[size=13px]I took a solo spill about a month ago, and although the collarbone and ribs are healing nicely, I developed a weakness in my clutch hand that has kept me off the bike. It's probably a neurological deficit since the nerve plexus for the arm and hand or right under the collarbone. I have adjusted the clutch lever as far back as it will go, but was wondering if there was any way of making the clutch action/pull any easier? I can get the bike rolling all right, but don't feel comfortable with my ability to clutch it into neutral without stalling it in traffic. Any suggestions other than just healing? The only thing I can think of is fashioning a loop out of a slim cord around the lever that I can pass my fingers through to effectively reduce the role of the lever.[/size]
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Reducing clutch lever pull force

Post by hammo »

Wunderlich sell a "Vario" clutch lever it adjusts to your own requirements its sold across the pond here on "Nippy Normans " website hope this might help you .
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

The word Force is the problem. Even with a span adjustable lever, it may bring the lever closer to the handlebar grip the problem is the force needed will still be the same. If the problem is going to be long-term, there are companies than can mount the clutch lever on the right hand side just under the brake lever.
Over here in the UK, there is a site called NABD. National Association for Bikers with Disability. Their adaptations are unlimited to help the disabled get on their bikes again.
Am classes as disabled myself. I suffer from Peripheral Neuropathy. This affects both my legs and right arm and hand. I can't walk without a stick and not for very far.  NABD helped me with older bikes in the past. It may be worth a look on the site.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

If the lever is closer to the bar you can make better use of the levers length, which will give you some mechanical advantage.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

[size=13px]First, thanks for all the suggestions, and Dr. T you're a better man than I am Gunga Din! You are truly a dedicated biker. Just as an update, I took my first ride yesterday, a month to the day after the accident, and only stalled it once as I pulled into a parking space. Until it gets better, I will just use my arm to pull back on the clutch when my fingers tire. Once it's in gear, I can move up and down through the gears without using the clutch, just giving a little blip to the accelerator during the changes. Hammo, I did look at the Vario products, but I don't know if it will afford enough rearward displacement to make much of a difference.  None of my DIY modifications worked.  My physical therapy has been delayed yet again, but I am hopeful that my condition will have progressed to the point where I can make my planned trip to Britain at the end of August, or thereabouts.  The accident occurred one week before my June 21 flight to France and Britain , so the one lucky thing about all this is that I dodged the bullet of the awful heat wave you're suffering through over there. It all sounds more like one of my tours through the southwest US, where I've run into temperatures of 114 to 116° in the past.  Thanks again to all.[/size]
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

[size=13px]I found a solution of sorts. Inasmuch as my finger strength seemed better with my wrist bent downward, I just loosened the bolt  and rotated the whole assembly downwards. Didn't stall the bike once on a short trip today. Why do the best and simplest ideas always seem to come to mind last?  [/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[size=13px]Maybe somebody with similar hand or wrist problems might want to try this. By the way, someone above suggested a replacement lever that is relatively straight. I think that would be a good idea, as it is easier to use the maximum leverage by gripping it towards the very end, and also good for those with shorter fingers. [/size]