Software bug on 2019 1250RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Software bug on 2019 1250RT

Post by beemerboy9 »

Friends who were with me on the Hereford trip will remember that my bike stuttered and then restarted after a couple of attempts. It then ran perfectly for the rest of the trip with the Check Engine light firmly illuminated.
Michael thought that it was the exhaust flap seizing so I booked  the bike into Wollaston, Northampton for the fault to be investigated.
The Silencer was removed and the exhaust flap found to be in very good condition, clean and not at all seized.
The fault was with the fuel pump but it was not faulty......
There is a known software bug that can signal the engine management software to think there is a fault with the fuel pump. The fix was to update the engine management software (and chassis software while they were at it).
Bike is running perfectly and I will pick it up on Saturday.
Well done Wollaston and thanks for the loan of the K1600B.
John Bentall
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: Software bug on 2019 1250RT

Post by michaelc2710 »

Great news you got it fixed and the flap is in good condition,
Will you be part-exchanging it for the K16000B  :enjoying:
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

How long do these software updates take? Are they normally done routinely during a service or do they need to keep the bike plugged in overnight ?

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

MikeS wrote: How long do these software updates take? Are they normally done routinely during a service or do they need to keep the bike plugged in overnight ?
If you don't have the TV screen on the bike, the engine and chasis update could easily be done during the service if you ask for it.

TV screen bikes can take up to 6 hours. My dealer was reluctant, even though i don't have the TV screen, and I did not press the point. I shall have words with them.
John Bentall
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

beemerboy9 wrote: If you don't have the TV screen on the bike, the engine and chasis update could easily be done during the service if you ask for it.

TV screen bikes can take up to 6 hours. My dealer was reluctant, even though i don't have the TV screen, and I did not press the point. I shall have words with them.

That's very interesting, not quite the intermittent issue I have on my 1250 2019, my dealer reluctant to update the software and said it could brick the bike and the expense to fix would be on me ...
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Panman40 wrote: my dealer reluctant to update the software and said it could brick the bike and the expense to fix would be on me ...

That's (excuse language) a full bull shit.
If the update is done by the BMW garage, and they brick it, then they fixing it. Simple like that.
That's the reason why my dealer always asking me why I need software update. Then they note the reason. As I have big TFT it is still this same one - connection to App dropping. And then they have clear cause why they doing it.
In your case it is even more clear.
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

MikeS wrote: How long do these software updates take? Are they normally done routinely during a service or do they need to keep the bike plugged in overnight ?

They can take as little as 30 mins or as long as 6-7 hours, provided there are no interruptions or issues. My understanding is that there's no local buffering/library, so that even the dealer already has done an update for someone else, *your* update still needs downloaded from Germany.

I've had 2 updates done. The initial update took 2 attempts and over 10 hours - but that was going from the very first revision of the TFT/ECU for my RT to the next. Skipped a version and when I had it in for Clearwater light + XM Radio install this spring, the update took 90 minutes.

Just dropped off the bike Thursday evening of last week for 6000 mile + annual service, an update is available but the computer said it wasn't "needed". I still have issues with playlists and connectivity, so it'll get updated. Dealer said ok, so it's on the list to be done. Dealer said they've been running between 1 and 3 hours for them recently.