TFT anti theft brace - any point to have it?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

TFT anti theft brace - any point to have it?

Post by Arek »

Hi everyone.
Recently when I was a bit bored and browse through Nippynormans site I found the anti theft bracket for RT TFT.
I heard that RS and GS TFT's are quite easy to nick, and there were quite few reports that it been done.
The unit is not cheap, so I understand the point of that mod.

My question is how it compare to RT TFT. Actually I did not heard about anyone who had it stolen. Is the BMW construction better in RT? Is it not popular? Any other reason?
To be honest it not look particularly good fitted. So I'd rather avoid it if I don't have to fit it. Obviously £69 for brace is much less than £1500+ for TFT, so I'm a bit torn what to do.

Any experience? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: TFT anti theft brace - any point to have it?

Post by Casbar »

If they want it, they will have it, the brace is a deterrent only. The brace are made by a chap on UKGSER, he started off making ones for the GS and progressed from there.

The issue I have read is, when someone steals the TFT they normally also rip out the connectors, BMW didn't (not sure if they do now) supply the plugs on their own, so quite often a new loom was also needed.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: TFT anti theft brace - any point to have it?

Post by Arek »

That was my thinking too. The brace do not prevent, it will be a bit harder to do that. But it is like with all bike locking stuff, disk locks, chains, paddocks, etc. If there is a one bike with those things, and one without guess which one will be targetted.
I seen pictures that GS TFT was really actually on couple of clips. Our RT looks more sturdy, but I may be fooled by it obviously.

Still not keen to put that onto my bike. bit also I'm not happy to pay for new TFT and potentially new loom as well.