General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Suspension protection

Post by Steve398 »

I’m just in the process of getting the suspension on my 2018 upgraded, and wondered if there was any product out there to protect the spring(s) and body from the weather and dirt that gets thrown at it.

The GS gets the Mudslinger, and I’m aware of the R&G protector, but is there a RT version that I haven’t discovered?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Suspension protection

Post by Doctor T »

On my last bike(Tiger 1050,2010) I bought some neoroprean and H/D hook and loop(Velcro). Got my Mum to use her machine to sew the strips of Velcro along the length. Just like the R&G ones you've seen. Total cost £20. The good thing about Neoroprean is it's waterproof, stretchable, doesn't fray, and washable.
If you haven't a sewing machine you can hand stitch but get the smooth type and the type that is abrasion-proof collects every bit of dust and dirt.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Doctor T wrote: On my last bike(Tiger 1050,2010) I bought some neoroprean and H/D hook and loop(Velcro). Got my Mum to use her machine to sew the strips of Velcro along the length. Just like the R&G ones you've seen. Total cost £20. The good thing about Neoroprean is it's waterproof, stretchable, doesn't fray, and washable.
If you haven't a sewing machine you can hand stitch but get the smooth type and the type that is abrasion-proof collects every bit of dust and dirt.

Cheers Doc
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

If you go the route i did measure the spring and add 2 inches to compensate for the spring's noncompressed length.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.