Car Suction Mount for SatNav?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Frappawotsit
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Car Suction Mount for SatNav?

Post by Frappawotsit »

Having recently returned to biking after a number of years away from it, I’ve spent quite a lot (for me) lately, new bike, new helmet, clothing g, boots etc…. So Rather than splashing a load of money on a new “bike” satnav, I figured I’d try using an old Garmin Nuvi from my car that is surplus to requirement in the car these days….
I’m looking to Mount on my 2011 BMW R1200 RT and wondered if anyone has just used the standard car suction Mount on the bike?
As the screen on the bike is electrically adjusted up and down I figure rather than on the screen, maybe Mount it on top of the dash cluster where there is a pretty smooth plastic cover….

Has anyone tried this? With what results?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Car Suction Mount for SatNav?

Post by David. »

A self adhesive dashboard disc will give a better, smoother, flat surface for the car suction mount to adhere to.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I agree with the above

But I would also ad a tether of some sort

Suction mounts can easily come off with vibration so I would just add a failsafe
Frappawotsit
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

For anyone that's interested, I have only test ridden a couple of hundred miles so far, but (fingers crossed) nothing has fallen off yet!

I've ended up opting for a waterproof case with built in sun visor to put the Car SatNav in, and mounted it using a Garmin 17mm ball mount to suction cup straight off the screen. So far, so good. I have taken advice from here and tethered the unit, just in case the suction mount decides to give up on me without notice! (Thanks)

I did try mounting on the top of the instrument cluster, but although is stayed suctioned just fine, the plastic point I mounted on moved a lot under the weight and vibration, rendering the Satnav borderline un-useable. Hence mounting on the screen.

The SatNav is still operable with gloved hands as it's pressure sensitive screen, not capacitive like a mobile phone. I'm yet to ride in rain with it, but initial results seem favourable, even with the sun visor, it can be difficult to see well in bright light, but I think it's a definite worker.... at least for now!

(Apologies, tried adding pics, but I seem to be technically challenged and failed miserably :lol: )