Grip Puppie Install

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Grip Puppie Install

Post by Gavj »

Each to their own but I like Grip Puppies..... I have had them on my last 3 bikes and also had foam grips in the eighties on my RD350LC,

Anyway, anyone going to fit these here some of my findings..

Cutting them to length is a bit daunting, get this wrong and your back down the shop for another pair and another £15  :alas: . I hold them against the original grips and then wrap insulating tape around them to mark where I want to cut. A sharp "Stanley" or craft knife slices through them but getting a neat cut is awkward. If you have such a thing to hand, a bit of pipe in your vice is ideal to slip the puppie over while you slice it. 3/4" bsp steel pipe is ideal for size but obviously use what you have. Measure and check twice before you cut...

Next remove the bar end weights and dunk the puppie in soapy water. Aso add a little soapy water to the original grip. Now, next bit wont help if you dont have a compressor..... Work the end of the pupie over the end of the grip and using the bar end weight as a bung, puff some air into the puppie while applying a little pressure..... "poof" it magically pops on, almost. Just the last 3mm to go. Using your air gun, push the nozzle under the end of the puppie and puff again... bingo, thats one done. Just put the bar end back on and repeat.

Good Luck

Attachments
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Grip Puppie Install

Post by Casbar »

Or just cut them to length (easy) and use a little washing up liquid and push them on, no need to remove anything. I have put these on my 2014 RT and 1250 probably 6 times. I keep putting them on and then cutting them off as they are too thick and I keep changing my mind.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Do you still feel the heated grips through the sponge material?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Heated grips on my Trophy worked fine, haven't tried the RT ones yet but I have only used the RT ones on level 2 and that was too hot!! so not expecting any problems
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MikeS wrote: Do you still feel the heated grips through the sponge material?

Yeah but the heat might take slightly longer to get through, they still work fine though.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
fink

Post by fink »

Cut them to length with a pair of long kitchen scissors.
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

Cut them to lenght and use lots of alcoholic gel to lubricate the puppies. They slide very easy on to the handle bars that way.Afterwards the alcohol dissolves and the grips are seated.No need to disassemble anything, no special tools are required.
Yes, the heated grips take a little longer to get to temperature but that's all.Stay safe...  Ed.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
joeducati
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT
Has liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by joeducati »

[/quote]

I tried this last week and it worked great with the compressed air, thanks for the tip!!!
Excellence
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2021
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

I put a set on the RT yesterday.
A bit of detergent first then having fed them over the bar ends, I found that just hitting them with the flat of the hand pumped air in and expanded them enough to let them slip on with a gentle twist.
Now I just need the chance to ride the damn thing!
My problem is that the house takes its heat from the drive so when everyone else's drives are clear of snow/frost mine stays like an ice rink for days and days.
Jeff_M
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE 2009
Australia

Post by Jeff_M »

I've just fitted Grip Puppies to my R1200RT and I didn't cut them. They easily compress and I'm left with factory ends, no risk of a wonky cut spoiling the look. I'd say that mine could be a tiny bit thicker now than they would be had I cut them, but I have big hands and this suits me. I didn't use a compressor, just a bit of car wash and water and they went on easily.

BTW, low speed handling is just so much easier with these fitted.
OscarTGrouch
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by OscarTGrouch »

Spray the inside with Hair spray, get it good and wet slip it on the handle grip,
hair spray dries and assists being a bit sticky to keep them from slipping, Works like a charm, easy to get off when they are torn or worn out!
2023 R1250RT :lol:
2022 R1800TC gone :)
2016 R1200RT w/c gone :)
2014 K100GTL (gone) :(
2014 R1200RT w/c (gone) :(
2005 R1200RT Hex head (gone) :(
Psychobabble
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2005
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by Psychobabble »

OscarTGrouch wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 am Spray the inside with Hair spray, get it good and wet slip it on the handle grip,
hair spray dries and assists being a bit sticky to keep them from slipping, Works like a charm, easy to get off when they are torn or worn out!
I swear by hairspray for grip installs! Smells semi-decent too, lol. :lol:

I did just install (knockoff) Grip Puppies the other day over the stock grips using hairspray, no issues. Works excellent
wily_coyote
Bike Model and Year: RT LE 2010
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wily_coyote »

Just fitted them to my 2010 RT following repairing one of the heated grips. I didn't alter the length, warmed them in my pocket before fitting and just used some talc, Easy peasy.
Honda CB250N
Honda VFR 770
Suzuki RF600
Suzuki RF900
Honda CBR900
Honda CBR1000xx
Triumph Daytona
Honda CBR 1000xx
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki ZZR1400
BMW K1200RS
BMW R1200RT