General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Frappawotsit
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Intercom - Where do I start?

Post by Frappawotsit »

OK, so as I've said elsewhere, I'm newly returned to biking after a 15 year lay-off. When I last rode the Autocom Pro M1 was the intercom of choice :lol: , alas things have moved on in my absence. I've done a LOT of googling, but it definitely looks like a minefield out there.... so on to my question/s....

I'm a rider that is looking for the following from an Intercom:
I'm usually out with one other rider, so usually 2 x solo riders, or 2 x solo/pillion pairs if our better halves join us.
I'd like for us all to be able to communicate, but the priority is Rider to own pillion and other rider.
I'd also like it to connect to smartphone for music and satnav, and ideally my pillion would hear at least the music, if not both music and satnav. (don't need or want other rider / rider/pillion to be subjected to my music)
Of course I want the units to be waterproof as I'm a UK based rider, so likely most of my riding will be UK with some Western Europe trips thrown in.

My helmet is a Schuberth C4 Pro with built in speakers/mic, however the integrated intercom (SC1) seems to get pretty crappy reviews so I expect I'll have to remove the speakers/mic and replace from whatever system I end up with.

So if anyone is still awake..... what would the recommendations be from your experiences?

I'm going to guess Cardo Packtalk Bold/Edge or Sena 50S? But hoping to get other options and real world experiences of all recommendations.....

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Intercom - Where do I start?

Post by Steve398 »

We've used a Sena 10R for a few years, very neat and unobtrusive with no problems in the soggy British weather, and good reception/transmission for a relatively cheap starter set-up. However we're changing across to the Sena 50R when they come into stock.
I note that you're considering the 50S which according to the reviews is the least waterproof of the two although neither are specifically rated as waterproof.

Bennetts have done a fair review here - https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... h-intercom

I've no experience on the Cardo comms as a comparison, but I'm sure there'll be many in the forum who use them.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've used a few in the past. A cheap Chinese eBay special lasted 5 years then wouldn't charge. Much better than the £45 selling price suggested. A cardo set that was for Shoei helmets. I hated this set as every time i bent my head, my shoulder would turn it off. Sena that cost an arm and leg, i just didn't like it. It was too quite for me and kept dropping calls
Am now using a Cardo Freecom 4 plus. As the name suggests you can link up with 4 other sets/riders. Mine came with JBL speakers which are loud and have a bit of bass for music. I link mine to my phone for music on long rides. When using Google maps the directions quieten the music and the little lady tells me where to turn. The same goes for phone calls, where after the music is stopped and started again after the call. Never dropped a call. Rider to rider is on par with dearer units and if the signal is dropped between riders it will automatically reconnect. Battery life is good and lasts a very long time. The voice commands work well. Overall am very pleased with the set.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have a cardo packtalk bold

Been using these for a good 3 or 4 years now with no complaints

There is sometimes up to 6 of us out and they work great for abusing each other :lol:

Sportsbikeshop had them reduced recently

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... ,3203,1186
Frappawotsit
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

Steve398 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:41 pmI note that you're considering the 50S which according to the reviews is the least waterproof of the two although neither are specifically rated as waterproof.

Bennetts have done a fair review here - https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... h-intercom
Thanks, I was thinking the 50R but thought I’d read somewhere it was discontinued…. I may well be wrong, I’ve read way too much and confused myself! :lol:
Frappawotsit
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:22 pm Am now using a Cardo Freecom 4 plus……
Sounds good, thanks, I’ll look into that too, I’m definitely not looking to break the bank but equally I don’t want to make a poor decision, regret it and end up buying twice….
Frappawotsit
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

sakm wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:50 pm I have a cardo packtalk bold

Been using these for a good 3 or 4 years now with no complaints
Thanks, appreciate the link too
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’m using the Cardo Freecom 2+ and I’ve no complaints, does everything I want it to do.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

i Will add i use a full face and open face jet helmet. With the open face, i do use a dead cat(furry mic thing) that are only a couple of pound for 2. On a retro bike with no wind protection and doing 100 mph in Germany and told by my wife that she could still hear me quite clearly.
Warning don't do that speed on a retro as your arms with stretch beyond the normal
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

… and today I get a text advising me that my 50R is in stock, £472 later and I’m done. Not as obtrusive as I feared and very quick to pair up with my phone, sat-nav and my wife’s helmet. Testing begins on Sunday, weather permitting.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

After a test ride the new 50R speakers are a considerable improvement on those supplied with my old 10R.
The phone and satnav having paired immediately, the conversation and directions were loud, clear and free from any crackle or hiss.
2-up the transmission/reception was loud and clear up to 75mph, and then only interrupted by the speed warnings fron the satnav!
At one point I managed to push the wrong button and got my Audible book read out to me from my phone 🤣
MESH worked well, lift the arial, push the button and anyone within range with MESH facility on their comms is automatically connected.
The Sena bluetooth phone app paired and connected our helmets easily and immediately.
All in all I’m very happy with the purchase 👍
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

I’m a long-time C3-Pro / Sena 20S EVO rider but just bought a new C5 with the integrated SC2 comm system. It’s essentially a 50R. The fidelity is much improved over my 20S but the control buttons are a bit tougher to navigate with gloves. It’ll take some time to get oriented and accustomed to it. At least the vox is more functional.
Frappawotsit
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:21 pm After a test ride the new 50R speakers are a considerable improvement on those supplied with my old 10R.
The phone and satnav having paired immediately, the conversation and directions were loud, clear and free from any crackle or hiss.
2-up the transmission/reception was loud and clear up to 75mph, and then only interrupted by the speed warnings fron the satnav!
At one point I managed to push the wrong button and got my Audible book read out to me from my phone 🤣
MESH worked well, lift the arial, push the button and anyone within range with MESH facility on their comms is automatically connected.
The Sena bluetooth phone app paired and connected our helmets easily and immediately.
All in all I’m very happy with the purchase 👍
Great to hear.... love the audiobook :lol:
Frappawotsit
Great Britain

Post by Frappawotsit »

Well I finally bit the bullet as it were.... I've actually gone for a Sena Spider ST-1

It seems to have much of the quality of the 50R/S range but without some of the bells and whistles, like FM Radio (which I would never use) and it is MESH only, no Bluetooth intercom, but is a much more acceptable price tag as a result.

My research led me to wanting MESH anyway, and although no BT intercom, it still BT connects to phone / Music / GPS etc and uses BT 5.2 which is awesome.
I've only had limited tests so far between me and the good lady, but so far, it looks to be a great product, connects instantly, is excellent quality speech/sound and seems pretty straight forward to use. I really like the jog dial idea, I just hope that it doesn't cause me problems in the rain as SENA don't seem to actually waterproof rate their products???? I tend to only ride in the rain if I happen to get caught out in it, so I'm hopeful that I won't put it to the test in any serious way for quite a while....

Initial impressions are excellent, and for the money, I feel it's well worth it. Mesh definitely looks like the way forward, so I really don't see that it being Mesh only is a limiting factor. :cheers:
N3zat
United States of America

Post by N3zat »

I use sena 50s Works good