Blood bikers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Blood bikers

Post by MikeS »

Are the Blood Bikers over subscribed with volunteers at the moment? I applied to join my local group in early August as a volunteer rider. Completed the application form, submitted evidence of ID and address, copy of license etc. Did the ROSPA test to get up to the required standard.
Not heard anything back from them. Emailed them for an update but no response.

If the service doesn't need people at the moment, I'm happy to revisit in the future.
Last edited by MikeS on Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Blood bikers

Post by Sharkfighter »

Mike it depends where you are in the country and to be honest how good the blood bike groups admin is like. I was in Derbyshire blood bikes and it took a few months before I heard anything, but once I had the process was quick. A new person had taken over the recruitment process and revamped it. I’ve moved to Devon and joined South West Blood Bikes and I found their recruitment process not as efficient, I was sending emails asking for updates. Having said all that Derbyshire have lots of riders on their books compared with SWBB, though the opportunity for work is equal, in my opinion. Now that the weather is changing you’ll find that the ‘fair weather riders’ will make less of an appearance.
I think it’s a case of waiting and keep giving them a poke, they do want riders. Hope this helps
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Sharkfighter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:05 pm Mike it depends where you are in the country and to be honest how good the blood bike groups admin is like. I was in Derbyshire blood bikes and it took a few months before I heard anything, but once I had the process was quick. A new person had taken over the recruitment process and revamped it. I’ve moved to Devon and joined South West Blood Bikes and I found their recruitment process not as efficient, I was sending emails asking for updates. Having said all that Derbyshire have lots of riders on their books compared with SWBB, though the opportunity for work is equal, in my opinion. Now that the weather is changing you’ll find that the ‘fair weather riders’ will make less of an appearance.
I think it’s a case of waiting and keep giving them a poke, they do want riders. Hope this helps
Thanks. I'll stick with it and send another email in a week or so. I appreciate that the membership team are also volunteers and will have other things to do.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Hi Mike, Which group are you joining, could be you/they have friends on here already:-) I'm with YFW and I know there is a need for more riders. Peter
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

The South Warwickshire and Solihull group. They have monthly meetings but the first date I have had free to attend is in October.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

A few years ago when I moved back from France to West Sussex I went online to try and contact my local Blood Bikers group with a view to volunteering.

A year later, despite emails, voice messages, and texts, I had received no response whatsoever… not even a ‘no thank you’ or ‘we have sufficient riders’, zilch. So it’s no surprise that others have experienced similar difficulties.

I’m not slagging off the Blood Riders at all, it’s a worthy and much needed cause, but their recruitment process does need a serious shake up.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Mike have you thought about contacting the chairman direct, that may have the desired effect. He may not be aware of the problems potential volunteers are experiencing. Sometimes it's better in the direct approach than going through the normal channels.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Sharkfighter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:08 pm Mike have you thought about contacting the chairman direct, that may have the desired effect. He may not be aware of the problems potential volunteers are experiencing. Sometimes it's better in the direct approach than going through the normal channels.
Thanks, I hadn't thought going down that route but now you've suggested it I will. Worth a try.
Mike
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our group are taking their first new volunteers as riders and drivers for over a year. The problem is, if you have too many riders and drivers then there are not enough spare shifts for people to volunteer. We prefer to have volunteers who volunteer so if we have people who do not volunteer anymore, we move them out the group and open up spaces to new volunteers. The suggestion to contact the Chair is a good one. South West Blood bikes are a relatively new group and are growing fast, but they probably do not have the admin support of the larger more established groups. I am the Chair of our local group and am happy to pass on anyones details direct to the Chairs of any other groups if anyone is experiencing issues :)