General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Sheep Skin seat cover?

Post by Randyjaco »

I am considering getting a sheepskin seat cover for my RT. There seem to be all sorts of options. I have some major comfort problems with my existing seat. I am looking for some guidance of what I should be seeking. Should I be looking for long, medium or short fur length? Do I want a throw or custom shape? How should it be secured? Anything else I should be considering?
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Sheep Skin seat cover?

Post by David and Sally »

Hi

I have tried sheepskin covers and they didn't work for me.

I recently fitted one of these and I can say after a 1500 miles European trip that my time in the saddle before numb bum was so much longer.

Works for me. I bought the medium sized one. I don't like the look so only use it for longer trips.

https://airrideronline.com/
knuckplucker
Australia

Post by knuckplucker »

Not sure that a sheepskin will solve your problem. I have a 2018 R1200RT and had the same sort of issue, I felt like I was sliding down the seat into the tank.

I tried a sheepskin and then an Air Hawk cushion, neither of which helped much.

Finally bit the bullet and changed the seat for a Sargent seat - haven’t looked back since. Just completed a 4500km trip averaging 6-7 hours in the saddle daily with no problems at all.

Hope this helps.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

My solution is a cheap ebay air seat, which cost around £5. There is an office chair pad called egg seat. Made of gell. It's made for people who sit in a chair all day. That was really comfortable on long runs. It is large so will fit any seat, the only down side it doesn't have any straps but that's an easy fix.
Randyjaco
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I have had this problem with every bike I have bought. The solution always has been a Terry Adcox seat, but Terry is no longer making seats, so I am getting desperate :o

I end up getting pain and numbness in the area just below my femur bones after 15-30 minutes of riding. I presume it is a nerve and/or shut off of blood supply. Standing on the pegs helps, but is not a viable solution. Taking a 15-minute break helps too, but it takes forever to get anywhere ;)

I have been having a Hell of a time finding a comfortable seat. The bike came with a BMW low seat, then I got a regular seat. I have already tried the Sergeant seat for 1000 miles and sent it back. I tried a gel seat and one of those 3-d seat covers. They didn't work either. I have a Russell Day Long coming Friday. I am hoping that the Russell will work, but was considering the Russell with the sheep skin as a final option.

Thanks for the responses :thumb:
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Try this:
https://airflowseatcovers.com/

I replaced my sheepskin with this. More support and don't have to worry about rain.
Randyjaco
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Yeah, that's the 3-d thing I tried. It does make the seat cooler, but it did nothing for the pain :(
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

60Aviator wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:38 pm Try this:
https://airflowseatcovers.com/

I replaced my sheepskin with this. More support and don't have to worry about rain.
I bought one of these and it does help with airflow, sadly it didn’t make the seat anymore comfortable 😕, infact even with leather trousers I could feel the roughness of the cover.
I get backside ache on any seat on a bike!. I’ve tried gel, air seats which I really didn’t like so I’m wondering if the bmw tall seat ( more foam?) in the low seat position might help.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I find i get uncomfortable and bum burn when wearing trousers/pants for the USA with bum pockets. The hard seams dig in after a while causing bum ache.
Randyjaco
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I just installed my new Russell seat today. I only got to ride it for about 10 minutes. First impression is very good, but it is at least an inch taller than stock. Not great for my 29-inch inseam. :( I will just have to see what happens over the next 500 miles ;)

Russell does NOT recommend sheep skin covers. So I guess that that makes my original question mute> :)

Thanks for all the replies :cheers:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Most seats need to run in before they get comfortable or terrible.
I did once have a seat made for me. They scanned my bum sitting on a flat pad to find the pressure points and other measurements. They also had to make a mold of my ass, a bit like they do with racing seats.
They built the seat up with different densities of foam. No gel pads were available back then. It took 3 months to make but boy it was the most comfortable seat ive ever sat in. Back in the 90s it cost about £500, now if companies still offer this service i can see it in the thousands now.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.